Water Retention.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Just had a consultation with the GP about Jean.

I was worried that she might be retaining water as she seems to drink lots of liquid every day but does not use the toilet a great deal.

I did some investigating of my own and found that her pads and underwear were quite dry and there were no signs of surruptious changing of clothes whilst my back was turned.

I also made sure that she was actually drinking everything and not pouring it down the sink or oout in the nettle patch in the garden.

Between myself and the Doctor we believe that her ability to hold water may be due to the fact that, after the birth of our second child, Jean was taught the principles of pelvic floor exercising and used to practice the exercises religiously every day until the onset of Alzheimers.

The GP seems quite sure that this is the cause and not some medical condition.

In this case, daily exercising seems to have paid off.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Grommit,

It seems that Jean has taught us something very important, well done that woman!

This must be such a relief for you, as I can imagine it must have been quite a worry.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t really understand this.

I understand the benefit of pelvic floor exercising in order to enable control, but not to enhance water retention.

If you drink, you pass water. If you have poor control, you dribble. If you have good control, you are able to hold it, but you still need to pass it eventually.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Did the doctor not do a blood test to check for diabetes , Just that drinking lots of water is one of the symptoms ?

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Sorry about the delay in responding.

I apologise for the confusyion as I do not think I made myself clear.

Jean hasn't got water retention it was only me that thought she had, which is why she got carted off to the quacks for all the necessary tests.

She seemed to be drinking normal amounts of fluid but not visiting the toilet frequently.

I think it was just me worrying for nothing.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for clearing it up Grommit.

It does depend on the person. My sister drinks just as much as I do, but can go all day without going to the loo, whilst I am the opposite.

Funnily enough, I`m the one with the swollen ankles, one of the first signs of water retention, yet I don`t retain any. :confused: