water infections

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I think they can last until they are treated, so indefinitely, quite a lot of people have them without knowing.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
ahh right, i was looking up about them and it said they usually heal on there own in about 4-5 days, my father in law might have had one for about 4 weeks now and has become more confused than normal, he been on anti biotics for a week now but doesnt seem to making any difference.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I suppose, theoretically one of two things would happen: 1) the body produces enough antibodies to fight off the infection or 2) it gets worse and travels to the kidneys. I've had many UTIs in my lifetime: none of them that were true infections got better on their own.

I would not wait to get a UTI treated. I've seen the damage they can cause, particularly if the person is elderly and/or has dementia, and I've experienced the discomfort they can cause personally.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
He may need a different antibiotic. A sample should be sent for analysis to make sure he has the right one. The confusion caused by UTIs is awful. I think it would be best for him to see the doctor again.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
yes my mil rang to find results out of a water infection test and she has been told to go back to the docs again, so it must be something else then, though she says his urine is very dark and smelly and its going to the loo a lot, he was very mumbly when i was there the other day and my hubby said he was having a conversation with a invisible person that day too.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Seconding the different antibiotic idea. The best procedure is to treat with one of the more common antibiotics and also run a culture to see if the bacteria respond to that antibiotic. Sadly what often happens is that a common antibiotic is prescribed but no culture is run until you go back and say "hey, this isn't working".

If the antibiotic is effective against the specific bacteria, you should start to see an improvement within 7 days (when it comes to symptoms such as pain, and increased need to urinate) although any infection can cause dementia to take a down turn and it could be weeks before the person comes back to where they were before, even if the infection is out of their system.

kenaidog

Apr 8, 2013
ahh right ok, they have him amoxycillin which ive had before for other things but it doesnt seem to be having any effect on him.She said he got up in the middle of the night and she could hear him calling her and he was kneeling in the back room floor and he was freezing, so must have been there a while, she said it took her a bout 20 mins to get him up off the floor

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
my mother in law has one at the moment her dementia is worse and very upset but does not pee more or complain of pain we on second week now on different antibiotics and nurse came yesterday for blood test and sent pee sample to hospital so not sure .she seems to want to go but cannot go. in fact yesterday did not go for 6 hrs even with drinking . living on paracetamol to keep temp down. seems a bit brighter this morning hoping to take her for a walk in garden .don't think they clear up on own I had one years ago very bad and ended up very ill

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
no they don't often clear up on their own. Keep going back to try different antibiotics until they clear up.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
well final had some sense out of Dr he concerned her NA and K level very low so took of BP med explains why she not peeing even with a water infection .Temp keeps going up and down .She was really confussed and unable to walk last night to 2 of us to get her upstairs to bed.Final began to talk more sense around 11 pm around 5 hrs of nonsense. Seams fine this morning but still going to get Dr to come out .Bannas in her ceral to add K and Na .Any ideas what else has it in other than the table salt? Hope UTi clears up I thought we were going to loose her last night she was seeing things and finding it had to explain what she wanted.
Seams better this morning will see when Temp goes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerryann76