water infection

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Hi everyone,

my mum is currently in hospital being assessed. She now has a water infection - the third one since being in hospital - and medics are talking about putting her on anti biotics permanently............is this safe, has anyone else heard of this being done before???

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Hi yes Mum has had this treatment. She was on antibiotics for many months.
Now it is back to only when she has a urine infection. urine infections are going to become a common feature in your Mum's illness.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
About 10 years ago I was on long-term antibiotic therapy for repeated UTIs. Provided the anitbiotic is well chosen, there is very little danger. Sometimes tummy upsets can occur, but the alternative (suffering repeated UTIs) is much more miserable.

Jennifer

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

My Mum often had UTIs and as we know UTIs can cause older people to be more confused.
She was prescribed a prophylatic(sp), small dose of antibiotics to be taken everyday.

So far it has worked, no more UTIs

Alfjess

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for this information.

Do you have any idea what causes the infection? Someone told me it was lack of fluids.....but we make sure mam has plenty to drink during the day.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
and medics are talking about putting her on anti biotics permanently............is this safe, has anyone else heard of this being done before???
My mum suffered repeated UTI's and in the end her GP put her permanently on antibiotics, he used... alprim...keflex...macrodantin. Mum would take one tablet only, daily, to prevent UTI's. These coarses were rotated. Mum's urine was tested regular and this method worked well for her. Mum went into permanent care last May and I was told by the RN that the doctor who would be attending her would most likely stop the antibiotics, reason been, one antibiotic daily would be of no use. I was also told that the reason for the UTI's in the first place was likely to be poor hygiene and because that would be addressed in the home the UTI's wouldn't be a problem. Mum has had a UTI since been there, and her personal care is not been addressed properly:eek: so I'll be keeping a eye on this. Mum's GP said UTI's were very common in dementia sufferers. Hope all goes well. Taffy.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Unfortunately, we females are fairly badly designed in this area, and when you combine that with either faecal incontinence or a decreased ability on the part of the sufferer to "wipe" appropriately I think contamination is almost inevitable. Increasing fluid can help to keep the urethra flushed and stop bacteria travelling up the very short urethral tract, and make the bladder less hospitable for these bacteria, but as I said, it's almost inevitable.

Jennifer

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
thanks for all of your information.....its starting to make sense now.
We are waiting for mam to be admitted into a nursing home so hopefully her hygiene will improve.......fingers crossed.

I still dont like the sound of permanent antibiotics, she takes enough medication as it is.

Its such a minefield this illness and I appreciate all the help you have given me.

Glyn:D

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Hi Glyn

Dad has just recently been prescriped long term "preventative dose" of antibiotics for UTI's & to be honest I'm relieved. Dad has a catheter and therefore is very prone to these infections. When he has them - it is almost as though someone has pressed the "fast forward button" on his Alzheimer's and they really knock him for six.

In recent months I have been frustrated that Dad's urine has been tested & various elements of infection have been found - but I "hit a brick wall" with his GP who didn't want to give antibiotics too regularly as "there is always some infection with catheter users & it's to be expected" (mmm....obviously GP didn't have to live with the effects of this!!!!)

Mu understanding is that the long term use is a much lower dose of the antibiotic - aiming to prevent UTI's. But if an infection does develop - then a higher dose of anticiotics is given. I was reassured on this by a friend of mine who is a nurse and I'm pleased that the assessment unit medics are now trying to prevent Dad from going through this.

Hope this helps

Love

Gill x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have been told sometime elderly people do not empty they bladder properly when they go to toilet , so some urine get left behind so courses infection also not drinking right amount of water a day can course infection .

then sometime what happen with my mother she seem more confused , I think its infection, turn out its because she not drinking the right amount of water a day .

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

I was told that UTIs could be caused by any one of the reasons that others have posted.

In my Mum's case I would definately say hygiene. She wouldn't bathe and doesn't wipe. Right or wrong way.

Now, she is in permanent care, the hygiene issue has hardly improved. Not that I blame the care home, we couldn't get her near water either.

The best we could do was make sure she wore clean underwear, but since taking the small dose of antibiotics everyday, touch wood there have been no more UTIs

I am sure drinking lots of fluids helps, but if they are incontinent, then it appears you are between a rock and a hard place

Alfjess

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No I didn't mean to imply that only women get UTI's but they do get them much more frequently because of their anatomy. Of course any form of catheter is going to increase the liklihood of such a thing. Actually, I think when men get UTI's the symptoms can actually be worse, because if they do get such an infection the bacteria tend to be more robust, otherwise it wouldn't have got that far in the first place.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
REmedies

Well, after yesterday's suggestion of prunes for constipation, today's advice is Cranberry Juice for bladder problems.

You're all going to think I'm a crank, but they just happen to be the two ailments I have some experience with (bladder problems with my mother).

For urinary problems, Cranberry juice is great. 2 or 3 (or more) glasses per day, and if the infection is persistent, keep it up even with the antibiotics, and afterwards too as a preventative measure. And as with constipation, lots of water, flavoured if necessary.

You can get cranberry juice in 1 litre cartons in the supermarket, low sugar if you prefer. If the person is already suffering, get just cranberry juice, not a mix with other fruits.

REally, it does work.

Love

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Bladder infections

Not sue where my reply went, but please try Cranberry Juice. A known help in bladder and UT infections. Don't get that mixed with other juices, get the proper stuff (supermarket). 2-3 small glasses for prevention, rather more for cure.

Hope this helps,

Margaret

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Yes, cranberry juice is what has worked for Jan, and is a standard remedy in her care home.

Robinsons lemon barley water also helps.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel drinks cranberry juice all the time now.

He never has liked plain water, and now does not like the taste of orange etc.

Thank goodness he still likes his cranberry juice, although his Uti last week was really tough on him. However the antibiotics seem to be keeping things under control now.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
You can also try cranberry tablets, which are inexpensive if you buy them in quantity from a health store. Although you need to make sure you are drinking plenty as well.

apparently cranberry works by acidifying the urine with hippuric acid which stops the bactera sticking to the bladder walls

My mum is inclined towards bladder infections and used the tablets as she found she was wasting a lot of the juice as it has to be used quite quickly after opening.

Would also work if you happen not to like cranberry juice.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Adding Sugar

One of our carers suggested dissolving sugar in Cranberry Juice for Dad as some find the taste too sour (obviously only if sugar is "allowable" in the diet.)

Thought I would mention it as Dad has quite a "sweet tooth" - but it was something we hadn't previously thought of.

Kind Regards

Gill x

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Wow....thanks for that Cranberry Juice remedy. Will get to the supermarket today and start the remedy.:D

At the moment mam is continent, even getting up the during the night to go to the toilet, but she is VERY reluctant to be washed or showered and the nursing staff have to use 'intervention methods'.....although having said that, there are times when she will happily get into the shower and have her hair washed!! Different every day.
Im so glad I posted this question, it now seems there is some light at the end of the tunnel with this infection which can have the effect of increasing the agitation dramatically.

Many thanks