Watching from a distance

MaryI

Jul 27, 2016
My sister has early onset (diagnosed formally in 2016) - she was 54 at the time of diagnosis. We are very close so this is hard for me, but she lives in British Columbia (the left hand coast of Canada) - does anyone else have to sit and watch this happen at a distance? I'd love to talk to someone who does.

She has lots of care there and is no longer able to speak much but likes to see me on Skype each week. It is an unusual situation but I can't be the only one out there!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @MaryI
what a challenge for you ... sometimes modern technology is a real boon

there are other members who have someone they care about in another country, so they may well see your post given a bit of time

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
It doesn't matter if you're in Canada or just the other end of the country if you can't be with them when they need you it is really hard. My Dad was only a 4 hr drive away but it was hard to get to see him more than once a fortnight. Make the most of your Skype calls and plan your topics of conversation before you make the call so as to end on a cheery memory from your childhood. Best of luck to you.

MaryI

Jul 27, 2016
Thank you all for your thoughts. My sister lives at home with her husband and has daily care come in now - it took us a long time to be able to help as her husband could not ask. But I'm so glad he is now accepting as it means he too can make the most of his time with her. I visit each year but sadly won't make it in 2019. She can still sing songs which I find astonishing given that she is now prone to forget my name! I often set up You Tube and we sing together - it's something we did as children so that is consoling.

Thanks again - sometimes I feel very angry and lost with it all. But having this forum helps.