Waste of time

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
after a big struggle we got Edna to the doc's. The cpn wanted her to go for a mot and check to see if there was any infection.
I wanted to go in with her but after this morning she wasn't having me at all, so dad went in.
the cpn had wrote a letter to him saying what she wanted doing so this is what happened
they went in doc said what can I do for you
dad said the nurse sent you a letter to say she wants edna to have a full check
he said ho lets do your blood pressure which was ok
dad gave him the water sample doc said whats this for dad said to check for infectin
he said ok then put a stick in it said everything was ok and that was it, nothing else done.

I thought to check for infection it had to be sent away?

I was so mad I have phoned the sw, he is very concerned as dad is finding it hard to cope at the moment and Edna is getting worse, he is coming to see us tomorrow but wants to talk to dad on his own I don't know how he will be able to as Edna follows him everywhere, he is thinking of getting Edna admitted for a assessment or the cpn appointment brought forward we will have to see tomorrow.

can someone please tell me that you can check for infections this way and I have got it wrong, it would then put my mind at rest
thanks

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
As far as I know, I am not a doctor. The stick thing is to check for sugar. I will stand corrected.
Barb

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Actually no. They can do a stick test to check for nitrites. If they appear it shows that there is a bacterial infection. I'm not sure what the rate of false positives/negatives is though with these tests.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Heartbroken

My sister works in the nursing home and the nurses do those stick tests for infection.

Know what you mean about the GP!!! The GP was great with Alan but if I need anything it always seems a waste of time to me.

Love Helen

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
No, the stick test can detect both blood (even tiny trace amounts) in the urine or the presence of white blood cells. Blood in the urine can have numerous causes, but white cells are usually a sign of infection.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Labsticks can detect, as Jennifer said..Nitrites....and Leucocytes ...both a positive sign of bacterial infection..

Protein and Blood would also indicate infection..

Any of these would normally be backed up by a specimen sent off to the lab..prior to commencing treatment..

Hope things improve, Heartbroken..

Love gigi xx

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
thanks so much everyone
sw is coming today he has spoken to the cpn and they are taking about bringing the consultents appointment forward and seeing if he will admit her to hospital for assesment as she wouldnt go to a hn for respite. I have spoke to my brother and said it could be a good idea for him to come to the meeting today he has agreed, but we will see if he turns up.

I will let you know later what happens
thanks for all your surport.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good Luck, I hope the meeting goes well.......and I hope your brother turns up to support you.

Love xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Good luck for today Heartbroken - I hope all goes as well as possible.

On the test aspect - my daughter suffers from kidney problems of which she has daily medication and when she needs testing it's done with the GP - it only gets sent off if an anomoly shows.

We too are under increasing pressure for mum to go on an assessment ward as she is increasingly violent and aggressive but we have been told that she will need to agree to go - which she isn't going to do. I'm just intrigued if you will be told the same things as it makes no sense to me. Our only other option to get her there is for her to be sectioned which is a path I'd rather we avoided if at all possible.

Again good luck.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Heartbroken

Just read your news about the meeting. Hope it went as well as you would want it to and that your brother turned up and was helpful.

I want you to know that I'm thinking about you and you do a great job.

Love Helen

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hi

I've just got back from the meeting and to my surprise my brother turned up YIPPEEEEEE.
Dad wouldn't say hes had enough to the sw as hes says many times to us but both of us told him out of dads hear shoot that he wasn't, lots happened lots of shouting from Edna, its a month since we got her in the bath, so a nurse is coming on monday to give her one and wash her hair, after the sw had gone she told me she was frightened so I told her I would help her which she agreed, but when I tried to get her upstairs she went mad and said not just now later, the same old story, later never comes.
the sw is coming on mon before the nurse to remind her that she has promised she will let the nurse come and help her to see if it helps. I don't know until dad tells him he's not coping nothing can be done. the sw had tried to phone the cpn but she hadn't returned her call. The sw told us the cpn whats to put her on Aricpet (sorry if Ive spelt it wrong) to carm her down she is coming next weds so we will have to wait and see.
at the moment my head is spinning with it all I left edna very quite and worried but carm.

Kate they have said about her going in to be assessed but we know she won't so they are talking about her being sectioned, we won't know until the 30th unless they bring it forward, but Edna is very agressive at both me and dad but only hit dad

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan