Washing hair

ItsAllOver

Aug 5, 2020
Hi.

Has anyone got any recommendations of products or ways to wash hair? These days it's become increasingly difficulty to wash the hair of our family member that's now in the mid/late stages. Usually we end up with water all over the place and it's a massive mission to try and keep the floor as dry as possible using all kinds of kylie sheets and mopping up with several towels.

We can't use the shower any more, so we're in the sink/cups of water situation for now.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Welcome to the forum @ItsAllOver There are various waterless shampoo products available, such as nilaqua, which are simple to use, you just rub it into the hair to make a lather then towel off. You can also get shampoo 'caps' which you place on the head and massage. You can purchase these at chemists or online from amazon, ebay, disability shops etc: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=nilaqu...1752747&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_n87dwys5c_e
I bought an inflatable bowl from a shop that sold aids for the disabled. It had a shaped side for the neck and was wonderful. I am not at home so can't tell you the name of the shop but they sold wheelchairs ect. It was about £25.00.
I removed his pillows and put a towel to collect drips and the bowl under his head. I had 2 jugs of warm water and shampoo ready on his table and it was easy to do. Then just sat him up and removed bowl. I hope you find one.
I left it inflated in bathroom with his jugs and shampoo in. I did it when carers were there as bowl sometimes heavy to remove alone, depends how much water you like.
The caps for dry hair cleaning gave him an itchy scalp.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.

Has anyone got any recommendations of products or ways to wash hair? These days it's become increasingly difficulty to wash the hair of our family member that's now in the mid/late stages. Usually we end up with water all over the place and it's a massive mission to try and keep the floor as dry as possible using all kinds of kylie sheets and mopping up with several towels.

We can't use the shower any more, so we're in the sink/cups of water situation for now.
Hi. I also have an inflatable collar type to use around the neck to wash the hair. Same as in the picture. But I cannot get on with it as dad is not very “bendy”if you like and is resistant to it.I bought a bag with a shower head attached. You fill it up with water from the taps and then hang it up with a coat hanger somewhere. I usually hang it outside the shower cubicle (he can no longer use that either) and then dad leans over the sink and I use the shower bag to wash his hair. I find that easier.It can be found online in shops that do disabled aids.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi.

Hi I wash my mums her while she's sat up in her hospital bed at home,I use Nilaqua and it's easy to use,I wrap a towel around mums shoulders.I find it works better if you very lightly dampen the hair with warm water sprayed from a spray bottle(This makes the shampoo less sticky and it also enables you to use less)I then add the Nilaqua shampoo and give it a god rub in for a few minutes.All you need to do is then gently pat the hair dry with a towel.The end result is one fresh looking mum with a big smile on her face,then when the carers walk in they always comment on how smart mum looks.
I was so pleased that I found it as people with dementia often become scared of water and although mum can have a little moan,I remind her of how nice it's going to make her feel.
I buy if from Amazon or Ebay https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilaqua-50...hild=1&keywords=nilaqua&qid=1596616965&sr=8-5 but you need to spend £20 to get free delivery.

Or pay a little more and get free delivery from Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nilaqua-...315182?hash=item26414ce32e:g:3pwAAOSw~1NfGkkO

facline

Jul 15, 2020
Birmingham
I used to use washing caps on my nan - she said they felt nice and seemed to wash it quite well without any mess :)

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016

Is this the sort of thing @clarice2?
That's the one. My husband was bedbound and we had a hospital bed as he couldn't move. We managed well with this. He was at home with me until the last weeks when I could no longer lift and change him. He went into a care home just up the road from me so I could go everyday and give him meals. The staff had not seen this bowl before and borrowed it for a lady they had problems with. I left it when he died and they ordered more.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I too bought one like this from Amzaon:-

I also bought a pump to blow it up. It has a long tube which I trailed into a bucket to let some of the soapy water out, then used more jugs of warm water to rinse. As the OP says, it can be quite heavy and awkward to carry when finished so I too only used it with carers there to help.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
We have been using the wash cap for months now, yesterday we tried nilaqua, it was a lot easier to use and the final result is a lot better.
I bought the product on Ebay (just over £4 including postage), I will go back and buy the larger bottle.