Washing.....advice!

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
I know there have been so many discussions about how to get our loved ones to bathe/wash/shower and I had had some really useful advice which means that Dad's hair is reasonably fragrant now!

But I wondered if anyone can pass on any tips on how to get him to either have, or allow, a full strip wash? Mum and I are fairly confident that he is washing daily "above the waist", and he is shaving - but we are uncertain about the nether regions. Sorry if this is too much information! We can't get him into the bath as we would never get him out again and I cannot see us getting him in the shower at any time in the near future. Whilst he is confused a lot of the time he does have long reasonably lucid periods, and he is still very clear when he getting up in the morning that he is "not a child", and gets very angry if Mum offers to help him wash or tries to persuade him. I have bought some of the body wash wipes from the website that sells the shampoo caps I have been using but the problem is the same - how to either get him to let us help him or get him to use them himself. He has a carer once a week but I honestly cannot see him allowing her anywhere near his personal care.

Does anyone have any ideas? He is currently continent and physically reasonably fit although at 91 he doesn't do much except sit in the chair all day.

Any advice very gratefully received, as always!

Lesley

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I know there have been so many discussions about how to get our loved ones to bathe/wash/shower and I had had some really useful advice which means that Dad's hair is reasonably fragrant now!

But I wondered if anyone can pass on any tips on how to get him to either have, or allow, a full strip wash? Mum and I are fairly confident that he is washing daily "above the waist", and he is shaving - but we are uncertain about the nether regions. Sorry if this is too much information! We can't get him into the bath as we would never get him out again and I cannot see us getting him in the shower at any time in the near future. Whilst he is confused a lot of the time he does have long reasonably lucid periods, and he is still very clear when he getting up in the morning that he is "not a child", and gets very angry if Mum offers to help him wash or tries to persuade him. I have bought some of the body wash wipes from the website that sells the shampoo caps I have been using but the problem is the same - how to either get him to let us help him or get him to use them himself. He has a carer once a week but I honestly cannot see him allowing her anywhere near his personal care.

Does anyone have any ideas? He is currently continent and physically reasonably fit although at 91 he doesn't do much except sit in the chair all day.

Any advice very gratefully received, as always!

Lesley

do you not have a bath lift my MIL did avoid baths until i had one of these of the OT now you cannot get her out because she loves it so much

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
do you not have a bath lift my MIL did avoid baths until i had one of these of the OT now you cannot get her out because she loves it so much

We haven't - to be honest I would not be sure how to choose one. Dad struggles to folow instructions so it would have to be very easy for him to get onto and off. I would be enormously grateful if anyone has any recommendations.

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
I have notices that I seem to have 2 usernames - lesley1958 and lesendland. I am not sure how this happened so apologies for confusion!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I have notices that I seem to have 2 usernames - lesley1958 and lesendland. I am not sure how this happened so apologies for confusion!"

Assuming lesendland is a typo for lesledland.

You joined TP as lesledland in Oct 2013 but did not post until today.

You joined again as lesley1958 in Mar 2015 using a different email address (same email would have triggered an 'already used' alert) and have posted many times.

When you logged in this morning auto complete probably suggested lesledland and you had the password stored.

Later on today you chose lesley1958 for some reason or other.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
We haven't - to be honest I would not be sure how to choose one. Dad struggles to folow instructions so it would have to be very easy for him to get onto and off. I would be enormously grateful if anyone has any recommendations.

Lesley, you could contact your Dad's GP and ask for him to be referred to an Occupational Therapist. They will provide a bath seat (and any other equipment needed) fee of charge. At least that happened with our LA-I don't know if that differs from area to area.

Take care

Lyn T