1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Hi. Just had two kylie type bed pads delivered for my dad. Not Kylie brand, cheaper ones but look good quality. Should I wash them before first use or are they ready to go? It doesn't say on them, only that fabric softener shouldn't be used.

At the moment he has a waterproof mattress cover and a pet pad under his sheet. But these claim to hold up to 3 litres so should be more secure. I hope!

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I don't think you need to wash before use, unless it says to.

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Just start to use, no need to wash first. As you have already mentioned no conditioner or tumble dry, they do take a while to dry though, I hang on outside line first and then finish off in airing cupboard or close, not on, a radiator.

4. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks. Didn't realise they couldn't be tumble dried. Glad he's got an airing cupboard!!

5. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    I have a kylie sheet and a cheaper Boots version, they have both survived the tumble drier for over a year. For some reason they both say the use of anti bacterial cleaners like Dettol are not to be used.

6. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks for that nae sporran, I was planning to use dettol :rolleyes:

7. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    #7 Bunpoots, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Thanks Carmar. I think I'm going to put one on top of his bottom sheet and one under the sheet incase he gets under the top one. I only have two at the moment but if they work out well I intend to buy another two or four. We could well end up with them on the sofa as well as he frequently falls to sleep there...

8. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire

9. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I found the ones with tucks worked better if I put them lengthwise under my husband! One tuck under his feet, and the other up under the pillow. I was using a single size, on a king size bed.

10. malengwa

malengwa Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    Dad asked me to get disposable ones. By the time you've factored in laundering, dad doesn't have a tumble dryer, it's probably better for him. Doesn't do much for the planet mind you but anything that potentially makes life easier for him.

11. JohnCas

JohnCas Registered User

Sep 19, 2017
    I think disposable ones make a lot of sense. it something you want to minimise the time thinking about. Can you recommend a disposable brand?

12. Humptydingo

Humptydingo Registered User

Jun 3, 2015
    Dispoable bed pads

The cheapest I have found and use are in a pack of 100 for £23.93 with free delivery on Amazon - search in Amazon for Readi Disposable Incontinence bed pads pack of 100