Warning

churchsong

Jan 12, 2015
My husband sleeps below a window with curtains and venitian blind. Last night he decided to pull the curtain above his bed in an attempt to get up. He pulled the curtain and it ripped off the heading tape and he got caught up within it. The worry I had when I thought about it once disentangling it was the other end has a loop cord for changing direction. If this had got round his neck it might have hung him. I now have moved the bed but just wanted to share with everyone. Anyone else found this out?

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Churchsong,

I have knotted (shortened) the loops on my venetian blinds so that my grandchildren can't strangle themselves with them when they visit. Glad your husband was ok. It is so difficult to guard against every possible hazard isn't it?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Blinds come with a warning about the danger of strangulation on the box. When my nephew was very young I just did not join the loop together and left the two ends loose, it works fine as long as you tie a knot at the ends.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
We had our blinds fitted relatively recently, and they fitted a hook at the bottom of the loop so that it is held in place for child safety - perhaps you could look into something like that? It is lucky that you thought of it before an accident rather than after!