Warning

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband had surgery last week and has been having visits from District Nurses. The nurse who visited this morning told of a one off visit by a Bogus Nurse.

She visited an elderly couple who saw the `uniform` and let her in. She chatted to them, asked questions and while they were answering was looking round the room.

She was wearing a striped dress which is not the uniform of Thanet nurses. The couple`s daughter phoned and reported the incident, as the couple had no need of a visit and she was suspicious.

I know this incident was local to me, but I feel it will do no harm to make everyone aware.

Please make sure you check all identification before you let anyone in. This is particularly worrying for those who live alone.

I`m sorry if this notice causes anyone unnecessary worry.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thank you Sylvia I would rather be worried than wise after the event. Forewarned is forearmed as thay say.

Linda x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
This type of situation is a constant worry. As a result of mum's recent 'bogus gardener' I have a security system on order (just reminded me I need to chase that up, thank you!) .... grateful for mum's wonderful 'nosy-in-a-very nice-way' neighbours ...... but cannot prevent mum from opening her door to anyone ...... no chance she would think to check ID - if her eyesight would allow her anyway if she remembered to ...... and so vulnerable....

Not reason in itself to move her from her home methinks ....... but yes, a huge worry that there are people will try to prey on the vulnerable ... if anyone has any tips/ideas how to protect I would be very grateful to know of them ......

I think we also have to be conscious that such 'sick individuals' who feel it appropriate to behave in such devious ways for whatever ends are actually very few and far between ..... right that alarm bells are rung to remain as vigilant as we can be without pressing the total panic buttons ....

Love, Karen, x

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
That is very scary to think people are that...no words in my vocabulary to describe that type of person. I would like to especially remind people here in the states thAt most of the time those nurses no longer wear uniforms. Be sure to know your extra people.

Hugs to all.

rose_of_york

Mar 22, 2008
York
Last year my mother agreed to pay £4800 to cowboys who knocked on the door offering to pave the drive.

I only found out accidentally as she had hidden the paperwork as usual. I think she paid them up to £800 deposit, but of course she couldn't remember.

It was me who had to sort it all out and deal with Trading Standards - it did turn out to be a bogus firm. But of course - she smiles sweetly at anybody who calls and says "wouldn't you like this doing?" and says "yes".

There's probably other things happening that I don't find out about because she hides paperwork from me to stop me stealing things.....................

Barbara

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
most of the time those nurses no longer wear uniforms.

It happens here to and raises another question.

When we had our first disastrous visit from an overfamiliar CPN, I`m sure my husband would have accepted her intrusion had she been wearing a uniform.

When your mind isn`t always clear, a well known visual cue, such as a uniform, would surely help those with dementia to `know` who is addressing them.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
I too agree that a uniform would be a good visual aid for thos that are easily confused. I do understand some of the mentality behind not wearing a uniform as it makes the nurse seem to be more of a friend instead of someone that "may take them away". Still, having the same person come every time is almost the only way to protect them from those that do not really care.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Sylvia,
Thank you for highlighting a very serious warning.
I always ask the name of the person who is coming and then check their I.D. Unfortunately, when Peter was at home and he would answer the door inviting strangers into the house. Gas/Electric, double glazing and he did not understand why I was asking them to leave.
Best wishes
Christine

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976