Warning raised over Coronavirus bill impact on elderly and disabled services - This needs to be read by everyone

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
is this just for the duration of the corona virus or all the time. if its all the time its scary not to even have an assessment to see if help is needed. the first step is gone

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
We are in a pandemic.
where I work ( care provider) the sickness is running at 40 per cent.
If the government do not make changes, all the enterprising ambulance chasers will be filing for compensation next week. This will leave even less money for essential services in the future.
That doesn’t mean I am saying it is right, but no one has ever seen anything like this in their lifetimes.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
We are in a pandemic.
where I work ( care provider) the sickness is running at 40 per cent.
If the government do not make changes, all the enterprising ambulance chasers will be filing for compensation next week. This will leave even less money for essential services in the future.
That doesn’t mean I am saying it is right, but no one has ever seen anything like this in their lifetimes.
makes sense especially now with staff shortages. i used work in a care home and was short of staff then must be terrible.can i ask the assessment they are talking about is it for going into care or the social assessing whether carers are needed or both?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
is this just for the duration of the corona virus or all the time.

The legislation is temporary - "These powers would only be used if demand pressures and workforce illness during the pandemic meant that local authorities were at imminent risk of failing to fulfil their duties and only last the duration of the emergency":

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-bill-what-it-will-do/what-the-coronavirus-bill-will-do

The legislation will be time-limited – for 2 years – and not all of these measures will come into force immediately. The bill allows the 4 UK governments to switch on these new powers when they are needed, and, crucially, to switch them off again once they are no longer necessary, based on the advice of Chief Medical Officers of the 4 nations.

The measures in the coronavirus bill are temporary, proportionate to the threat we face, will only be used when strictly necessary and be in place for as long as required to respond to the situation.

• make changes to the Care Act 2014 in England and the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 to enable local authorities to prioritise the services they offer in order to ensure the most urgent and serious care needs are met, even if this means not meeting everyone’s assessed needs in full or delaying some assessments. During a pandemic, a lot of people who work in health and social care could be off sick or may need to care for loved ones. This could mean that local authorities, which are responsible for social care, may not be able to do all the things they are usually required to do
Local authorities will still be expected to do as much as they can to comply with their duties to meet needs during this period and these amendments would not remove the duty of care they have towards an individual’s risk of serious neglect or harm.

These powers would only be used if demand pressures and workforce illness during the pandemic meant that local authorities were at imminent risk of failing to fulfil their duties and only last the duration of the emergency. It would ensure that local authorities will continue to be able to deliver the best possible care services during the peak and to protect the lives of the most vulnerable members of society.

• temporarily relax local authorities’ duties in relation to their duties to conduct a needs assessment and prepare an adult carer support plan/young care statement under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, the Children (Scotland) Act 1995, the Social Care (Self-directed Support) (Scotland) Act 2013 and the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 to enable them to prioritise people with the greatest needs

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
What is important is that when this is over that we all push for a better system of care. Even apolitical doctors are speaking out and more needs to come from the social care sector so that our voice is heard.
I listened to World at One today on Radio 4, how can a system so badly broken respond to this? -it can't so tough decisions and plans have to be put in place.
I don't think any local authority will abandon its residents and those in need of care services, but they might have to change how they are delivered and even ration care.

Todays World at One program, worth listening to as more contraversial news hits the waves:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
What is important is that when this is over that we all push for a better system of care. Even apolitical doctors are speaking out and more needs to come from the social care sector so that our voice is heard.
I listened to World at One today on Radio 4, how can a system so badly broken respond to this? -it can't so tough decisions and plans have to be put in place.
I don't think any local authority will abandon its residents and those in need of care services, but they might have to change how they are delivered and even ration care.

Todays World at One program, worth listening to as more contraversial news hits the waves:
thankyou for that. makes it clearer