war time memories

Laine5

Jun 15, 2013
Hi all,
Sharing with you all what happened this morning, came back into the living room to find Mum in tears, she had been watching the war time remembrance programme on the Tv. On asking what was the matter she said it had bought back awful memories of the war. Bearing in mind I knew she had served in the Land Army on a local farm, what she told me was completely different. Said she had worked in munitions in a bomb factory and it was horrible. It sounded so plausible and unless she had chosen to keep it secret all these years,was completely wrong.
Took her a long time to get over it, didn't even try to contradict her, she then went on to tell me slightly different versions of her childhood, (her Mum died when she was born and she was bought up by her Dad) we have a photograph on the mantelpiece of her standing next to her Mum when she was an adult.
So it is probably worth bearing in mind that this can be a difficult time of year for some and that memories can also get mixed up.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with their elderly parent?

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi! My dads memories of his experience in the raf are quite clear..but when more confused than usual he thought he had malaria still..eventhough we didnt make an issue of it..the thought was causing him harm...he thought it was making him ill...so we went to gp they reassured him he didnt have malaria..he was fine then...the messages get jumbled up in the brain and what ever comes out is their gospel truth...its not their fault...but we tend to use a distraction technique to move on to something else...you are right in saying that this time of year must be confusing for some...young and old..remembering dementia is affecting young people even forties or younger...our craft group with society have made a wreath to put on local rememberance..will add picture later...thanks for raising the point..well done!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum's memories of WW2 are a little confused, she was only 5 when it started, but her memories of being evacuated are correct and have never changed over the years. Its the rest of it that's confusing she talks about working in a munitions factory, as far as I know no one in our family did, think this may have come from watching The Bomb Girls? on tv and then there is the RAF, probably from watching a film called The Battle of Britain. All in all the war according to mum was a big part of her life and sad to say has become a little racist about it all, there is a remembrance service that I would like to take her to, but worry she may say something inappropriate. So think will we stick to the BBC coverage on the day.

Laine5

Jun 15, 2013
Thanks for the replies, was hoping the increased confusion was a UTI but result is negative, guess we are that little bit further along the dementia road.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Thanks for the replies, was hoping the increased confusion was a UTI but result is negative, guess we are that little bit further along the dementia road.

If its any comfort my dad has been like it since day 1 really..once the damage is done to the brain..the message get mixed up..he done all sorts been all sorts and told us stories about people in the village..it is hard flitting from reality to the stories.....we have started out with..bad days good days...now we have bad weeks good days...I knew for ages before my mum would accept it and have researched every info I can...I suppose ive had time to come to terms with the worst case senario..so when we have good days its lovely..when we have bad days I dont get the kick in the tummy (emotionally speaking)..my mum does....im not saying im dont feel it..but seeing him suffer and no one listening was cruel and there was something I could do to help...now its happening and all we can do is make everyday count!..not much of a reasuring reply but..to know we re all on the same rollercoaster helps me..best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app