Wanting to come home

Practice

Jun 3, 2013
My husband has been in the psychiatry for the elderly ward in our local hospital for the past four weeks for assessment. He was admitted under section as he refused to go in voluntarily. There now has to be a mental health tribunal to continue the section into a compulsory treatment order. The recommendation is that he cannot return home and I have been looking at nursing homes. In the meantime he will remain in hospital. The situation has been explained to him but he does not have the capacity to understand and thinks that he will be going home. It breaks my heart every time I visit because he thinks I am there to take him home and he gets very agitated when he is not allowed to leave the ward with me. Does anyone have any tips or hints to diffuse the situation. I am also worried about how he will react when he is told that he is going to a nursing homer and not going home at all. I do have power of attorney but cannot see him settling into a nursing home and am very concerned for his future management.

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
My husband has been in a nursing home for 11 months. For at least 10 of them he asked to go home everyday to me and anyone who would listen. I agree it's very upsetting and I have no tips to give except telling him he needs nursing.

Liz

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I. Blame it on doctors only they can say when you come out.
2. Don't tell him where he's going.
3. No dear, this is a hotel, special people to look after you.
4. Don't visit every day, either hospital or care home.

Good luck!