Wanted: Advice on delusions

Alicenutter

Aug 29, 2015
Massachusetts USA
As I have already posted, my (as yet still undiagnosed) husband has Capgras syndrome, where he believes frequently that I'm an impostor. I can slip in and out of being me easily enough (as in Hello, I'm back, it's me), but afterwards he wants to interrogate me about how this can be happening, who controls the substitutions, when will they/you stop doing this to me etc. etc. I find this very hard to deal with.

Any tips? We're seeing his Family Doctor (GP) this afternoon, and I'm praying for a rapid assessment and some sort of treatment. I am afraid he might have Lewy Body Dementia.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Hi Alicenutter,

I'm afraid that is exactly what my hubby is suffering from .What he sees and thinks and hears is not what it is and also mixed up with bits of information from another day or conversation .Consequently I seem to spend most of my time trying to explain because I can't just say yes and no all the time .I do give up and some days are worse than others .

I'm sorry if this is what your hubby may have ,along with all other diagnosis ,it's tough .
XxxxxCaz60

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
As I have already posted, my (as yet still undiagnosed) husband has Capgras syndrome, where he believes frequently that I'm an impostor. I can slip in and out of being me easily enough (as in Hello, I'm back, it's me), but afterwards he wants to interrogate me about how this can be happening, who controls the substitutions, when will they/you stop doing this to me etc. etc. I find this very hard to deal with.

Any tips? We're seeing his Family Doctor (GP) this afternoon, and I'm praying for a rapid assessment and some sort of treatment. I am afraid he might have Lewy Body Dementia.

All I can suggest is that when he asks how this can be happening, etc, you say something like "I'm sorry darling, but I really don't know why. But I'm doing everything I can to find out why, and you know I wouldn't want you upset for the world".

It may work, it may not It may work on Monday but not on Tuesday. Although I tried hard to always be patient, it just wasn't possible, and there were times, I'll freely admit, when I lost it, and argued. And then of course, I'd feel dreadfully guilty, especially when John would suggest divorce "so that you can go off with one of your men". :eek:

This AD is a right sod, isn't it. xxx

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
So sorry I didn't give you anything helpful I just went on about myself .

Sometimes you can change the subject or attempt to answer your phone and move on but I'm sorry to say I'm still finding out myself what's best.What I do know is after 2years and classed as midway my patience is calming and it feels much better than getting upset . Much love .xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

My heart goes out to you. Keep posting. It certainly helps me. I hope you have people near you who can help.

Aisling ( Ireland)

Alicenutter

Aug 29, 2015
Massachusetts USA
Thank you all. We saw the GP today. My husband introduced me as a friend Which was, in the long run, helpful. Next stop neurologist. Husband pensive.... Good luck to all of you out there!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
In the middle/late stages....
When the Consultant (or anyone in a medical setting) asked ... 'Who this is'?
my husband would often say 'My PA'....
He really thought I was his Personal Assistant / Secretary.... and I was 'there' to take notes ...

They said he had VaD, but other people thought Lewy? Picks? Mixed?

Not a nice feeling to have husband not recognise me... on the other hand....
helpful to Consultant who could hear / see that husband didn't know me.