Want to help mum...

Ruth2020

May 17, 2020
My mum is 82 and has had a number of health concerns over the last 9-months, including emergency bowel surgery last October, diagnosis of osteoporosis and an unexplained fall which required additional hospital stay last month.

She has been having communication difficulties, which 1st came on around late March and has varied in severity. She seems to be better sometimes than others. Recently she became very confused leading to delirium and this turned out to be a UTI. Antibiotics for this finished a week ago but struggling to find words, displaying some odd behaviour at times, and this is similar to what she has experienced off and on for last few months. However, after she came back from hospital a couple of weeks ago she had a few days where she was talking etc all fine, then confusion and incontinence (this was UTI), better for a few days, now back to yes / no answers.

Clearly we are keen to get to the bottom of whether this is linked to medication, on going health (e.g. recurrent UTI's that she is unaware of) or whether it is some form of dementia - however prior to March she was very switched on so does seem this has come on relatively quickly.

These are challenging times and my dad has been advised that any testing or diagnosis is currently on hold however we really are hoping there is something that can be done to start helping both mum and dad.

I have received some literature about helping people with communication problems through the national helpline however feel it is the diagnosis work that we urgently need. There was a suggestion this could be linked to depression (undiagnosed) as she has been limited mobility wise die to back pain since February.

Any advice would be very welcome, it's breaking my heart to see dad getting so positive when she is good, then worrying again when she isn't and so limited by this blooming lockdown as to how I can help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Ruth2020 and welcome to DTP

I understand the worry you have, but there are several things that can mimic dementia and we cannot make a diagnosis. Im afraid that sometimes it can take a while to get a diagnosis - even without covid 19. Firstly, other things have to be ruled out with blood tests and then a referral to the memory clinic. Then they need a scan and after that a diagnosis, which may not, in fact, be dementia. One thing I can say, though is that all of us who care for someone with dementia have seen the havoc that an infection can play. Any sort of infection, but particularly a UTI causes horrible confusion and an increase in the dementia symptoms. We also know that pain, anaesthetics, hospital admissions and such things can advance the progression of dementia so that someone can go, for instance, from early dementia to mid-stage quite quickly. Not that Im saying that is what has happened to your mum, Im just saying that its something we see a lot of.

Whether your mum has dementia or not, it would be a good idea to try and get POA, for both finances and health & welfare. It could save a lot of problems further down the line.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Ruth2020 and welcome to the forum from me too. You have come to the right place for information and support.

As has been indicated, the best thing to do in this situation is work with your GP. As mentioned, many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have these checked. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

If you want to browse the expansive list of Factsheets, which cover every aspect of dementia, just click the following link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list