Want to go home.

Josh60

Feb 27, 2018
Sheffield
Please can anyone advise what I can do. My wife just want to go home and wants her Mother. This used to be now and again but now it is all day every day. It starts as soon as she gets up in the morning and continues all day every day, it is relentless and it dosen't matter what I say it makes no difference. The medication that she takes is Pregabalin 50 mg twice a day and 75 mg after tea time. She also has Diazepam 2mg as and when needed but no more than twice a day and they don't have any effect at all. I keep telling the nurse that comes to see her every three weeks or so and she says that she passes my concerns on to the doctor and she says that there is nothing that she can give me to help. I have to put up with this problem 24 hrs a day 7 days a week and it really gets me down. Does anybody have the same problem and can give me any advise

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Josh60, that must be hard to handle.

These statements are often an expression of some anxiety as it may not be the place or person that is being sought but the feeling of security and safety that was felt as a child in the parental home.

It would be an idea to talk to your wife at these moments to see if you can find out why she is anxious as you may be able to resolve that with reassurance or action. Otherwise a chat with the GP may help as depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia and my wife is troubled by both. My wife is on Pregabalin for anxiety and a separate daily anti depressant. Last year my wife's anxiety increased a great deal and an increase of the Pregabalin to 150mg twice daily helped a lot.

I hope you can resolve this.

Josh60

Feb 27, 2018
Sheffield

These statements are often an expression of some anxiety as it may not be the place or person that is being sought but the feeling of security and safety that was felt as a child in the parental home.

It would be an idea to talk to your wife at these moments to see if you can find out why she is anxious as you may be able to resolve that with reassurance or action. Otherwise a chat with the GP may help as depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia and my wife is troubled by both. My wife is on Pregabalin for anxiety and a separate daily anti depressant. Last year my wife's anxiety increased a great deal and an increase of the Pregabalin to 150mg twice daily helped a lot.

Thanks for your reply, I will have another word with psychiatric nurse when she next visits and see what she says about trying her on 150mg twice a day. As regards to talking to her about why she wants to go home I get no conversation from her in fact there is now no conversation with her at all.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
This may not work for you but I used to say that we would visit "the day after tomorrow" because I had an appointment, work event, whatever. Since my mother's short term memory was non-existent at that point, it was safe for me to repeat this.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
When my husband wants to go home I tell him ‘yes we will go first thing in the morning ‘ - but fortunately his “sundowning’ almost only occurs late evening . He is almost always content then to wait.
Only once did he say where home was and mentioned the house he lived in when a teenager . All the best x