1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    A few days ago, at about 4.45 pm, we had a call from Mum's next door neighbour to tell us that she had locked herself out. She'd been to her usual once a week Age UK lunch club, and, as far as we can tell, had been dropped off as normal at about 3.30. The driver always waits until she is in the house before driving off, sometimes he even unlocks her door for her. She'd obviously gone out the front door again afterwards and either shut it behind her, or it blew shut. I told the neighbour on the phone what the code for her key safe is, and he unlocked the door and let her back in. He said that she was fine and in no way agitated.

We went over today, and she was none the worse for her little adventure. However, she can't remember a thing about why she was outside, only that she was and the door was locked. She has no recollection of even going outside.

I only hope that this isn't the start of a 'wandering phase'. Only time will tell, I suppose.
    She hasn't ever wandered before, as far as we know.

2. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Make sure that her key is safely back in the box. I lost count of how many spares I had cut for Mum's keys in the end.:rolleyes: If this neighbour is nice and kind I would think about them having a spare spare just in case. I always was a belt and braces sort of person.;):D I did use to stick fluroescent coloured notices to the back of the door saying " Don't go out tonight" because my Mum used to wander.

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Just to be sure it is not the start of wandering, did you check with taxi firm that it was her usual driver. A little investigation might just ease your worries.

4. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thanks Cragmaid, it's certainly something to think about, although we don't know these neighbours at all really. It's a rented house and the tenants are forever changing. It just happened that after we changed the lock earlier on this year, I gave our phone number to both her next door neighbours just in case this very thing should happen.

The key in the safe is is daily use by her carers, so they would let me know immediately if it were missing one day - Mum doesn't know the code and wouldn't be able to work the mechanism even if she did, and the carers have never yet failed to replace the key in the safe after use, so I think the likelihood of it going missing is fairly small (at the moment:eek: ).

I tried the note stuck on the door ages ago to try to get her to keep the door locked (she used to unlock it then go back to bed and back to sleep and anyone could have just walked right in!). That didn't work, she just ignored the note, so in the end we had to change the lock to one that can only be opened with a key from outside. So I'm not sure a note telling her to make sure she has her key when she goes out of the front door would do much good.

5. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    It's an Age UK minibus, and no, I haven't checked yet - I'm going to ring them tomorrow.