• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Wandering outdoors in lockdown

Poppy95

Apr 3, 2020
I live with my mum she’s 85 diagnosed 3 years Alzheimer’s. I work part time lock down has brought me a whole new set of problems. Mum loves to walk for miles I have a tracker on her so I can go and get her if I think she’s too far. Recently she’s been brought back by police because people keep reporting her probably out of concern. Was told by Alzheimer’s society to let her carry on with her walks as it’s impossible for me to stop her and still go to work but the police don’t understand they see her as vulnerable with regards to Coronavirus and think I should be trying to keep her in. Just not sure what I am supposed to do at my wits end.

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Poppy95
It‘s incredibly hard to keep a person in when they don’t understand why & lots of our members are experiencing the same as you.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Poppy95, welcome to the forum. Have you registered Mum's details with the Police (I did this with my Mum)? Is there anyway that perhaps you can go out with Mum for a daily walk in accordance with the guidelines? You would then be able to manage the situation (i'm assuming she doesn't appreciate the social distancing protocol). I can understand your concern - it's a really difficult situation.