Wandering and stealing getting to be a problem

cookiebabe

Jul 18, 2013
Hi i'm new to this site and need some help in supporting my Dad who was diagnosed with Alzheimers, although I suspect he has had it many years. My Mum lives with my Dad and I live a couple of miles away with my family. He has become a real problem of late as he keeps wanting to go out at all hours to the local Tesco express. He doesn't know what hes going for but just needs to get out. We have the police coming round later today as apparently last week he was in there and became aggressive and threw a packet of Weetabix from another customers basket at the cashier , hitting her in the chest. He has also been stealing from there too. He wakes at all hours sometimes 4am and ventures down to the shop which isn't even open. My poor Mum doesn't know what to do to contain him in the house. She has tried hiding keys but he gets out by other means. He is currently in Aricept 5mg a day but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any advice will be gratefully received

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Practical things like window locks, obviously that will be a fire hazard but get the fire brigade in to do an assessment, they've done it for Mum. Call Adult Department of Social Services in to do an assessment, they have loads of great ideas. Tell the police of Dad's diagnosis they will probably call in Social Services for you.