Walking ............

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
My mum went into a NH last Wednesday - after 8 weeks in hospital - my is only 65 diagnosed 2 years ago now in the late stages.

All she does is walk - poor dad can spend 2 hours just walking around the home and it's grounds and he is exhasused afterwards. Her medication seems stable, and she is less agressive nowadays.

Dad says she appears happier in the home than she was in hospital (she was like a caged animal there), and she has stopped telling him to 'be quiet' (in the hospital they told her to shut up, and since then she had been telling dad to 'be quiet').

She has even started feeding herself again, and drinking voluntarily, which is good. But is the walking just a settling in thing, or is this common.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks
Debby
xxxxx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Debby

Walking is a common thing, both at home and in a care home.

I don't know whether it is because:

- it is something they can still do that doesn't hurt their minds
- they want to walk away from what is happening to them
- it is an activity
- they no longer sense tiredness or boredom from doing the same thing over and over

Whatever it is, it is certainly something I have seen more - rather than less - frequently, and at all ages.

Your Dad might try diversion - papers, books [as objects, not as something to read], or simply to sit and watch her walking.

It is distressing to see, I know, though at later stages one often wishes it could still happen.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Debby

My mother walked. She walked the corridors from morning to night.

At one time she had a friend who walked with her. They never exchanged any other communication.
They walked hand in hand until the friend died.

When I visited she would sit with me for a few minutes, but because there was no communication, she would get up and leave me, and continue walking.

She wasn`t the only one on the unit who walked.

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Debby, It would seem that those who can walk 'do'.

At least that is what happens in Lionel's care home. That way I get to chat to a lot of visitors, as those they have come in to visit just wander off.

In the very early stage of his illness Lionel used to like walking. He said that 'whilst walking he nnever had to think - he could get way from it all'

Maybe that is why he cries so much now - he cannot walk away.

Do hope that mum really settles in her new home. Please try not to worry too much about the walking - it happens.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Debby,

As my husband is in E.M.I. Unit and in last stage the walking is so common. Compared to seeing my husband sleeping all day to walking, I would rather Peter walked. Mind you the staff who follow him as he is prone to falls have been LOOSING WEIGHT!

So please that your Mother has settled in Nursing Home.

Best wishes
Christine

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
All the corredors both upstairs and downstairs have 'the walkers' wandering around, constantly walking without stop, morning noon and night at my husband's Care Home. They don't hurt anyone, don't cause any problems to others and it seems to help them in some way.

The downside to all this walking, which my husband also does, is that he has in the past, blistered his feet very badly (but still hobbled around), has enormous calluses on his feet and I do need to keep a careful watch on them as he punishes them very bady. He also has a bad back, developed a hernia, and can never gain any weight - all caused by his excessive walking. Thankfully he is still eating well and must be getting enough fuel for his walking needs.

My husband is aged 66 (similar age to your mum) but 'the walkers' really are all age groups. The older walkers don't wander as far, or as fast as the younger ones, and stay within the confines of the ground floor (older age group arthritis problems perhaps).

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, just experience of the same problem.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Walking and happy times

So sorry have taken so long to reply,I went to Dad's this weekend and to see mum.

Thank you so much for all your replies, as always, I feel so much better knowing she is not the only one that does this.

The NH that mum is in is lovely, the staff are so caring, and spend lots of time with mum on a one to one basis, even sitting in her room at meal times to encourage her to eat.

she has a new CPN, and on Friday he spent lots of time with me, my sister and my aunt. On Saturday me, my sister, my husband, my aunt, my dad and my 2yr old nephew went to see mum.

This was good for dad as he didn't have to do all the walking we took mum out and took it in turns to walk with her in the Abby Gardens in Bury St Edmunds. She seems very happy and even recognised me and my husband by name, which was excellent.

Dad doesn't mind the walking, but mum goes so fast, but as you said Lynne a great weight loss program, which is not such a bad thing especially for Dad.

Mum has been taking her tops off, and her Bras, so another little tip from TP was to buy Sloggi's instead of Bras - fabulous idea. Mum doesn't even try to take them off, and if she takes her top off it doesn't matter anymore.

Not sure if I am allowed to tell you this but Mattalan are selling for £6.75 at the moment cheapest place I have found them.

Anyway, sorry so long, but just wanted to keep you updated and thank you for your comments.

Love
Debby
xxxx

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi Debbie,

Can really sympathise with your issues.

Can you tell me what drugs your mum is being prescribed?

My mum has just gone in for respite and is been given Temezapan, 1/2 tablet?

Just wondered what drugs are available

Gill

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Debbie

Just in case your Mum persists with the undressing, do you know that there are suits available, to buy for, the inappropiate undresser?

My Mum at one point continually undressed and I bought a few of these suits.

They definately worked and staff (in hospital) and carers (in nursing home) are very impressed and I think grateful

Love
Alfjess

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi all.
Haven't been on for a while ups and down's after my husbands death.
I've also been finding out that if people are in nursing homes, hospitals, or indoors for long periods, there vitamin D level goes down, as its got from the sun. This can affect walking.
My husband was in hospital not out for 7 months his walking went downhill fast. His vitamin D level was never checked. Perhaps that might be the problem.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Chip

How good to see you back. I hope you have been all right.

Thank you for the imformation about Vitamin D. It`s certainly logical and probably overlooked by the majority of homes.

Take care chip.

Love xx