Walking

AnitaSzaban

Aug 30, 2019
My step father is now unable to walk very far at all and is getting very frustrated in not being able to do so, we trick him into using a walking stick but even then it’s clear to see his legs seem to be giving in, at what stage does this generally happen ? He also no longer showers, also seems to have some repetitive behaviours starting .

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@AnitaSzaban There is no particular stage for this to happen, my dad walked with a stick for years. His mobility suffered when he had pneumonia but he recovered it well enough when he recovered. Dad stopped showering long before this and his repetitive behaviours started years before his walking suffered. In fact he kept his mobility almost until the end although he struggled with it.

I have read on here of people who continue walking very well for a long time even though their dementia has advanced quite rapidly.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
When Pauline went through a period of walking difficulty I bought a push along type of wheel chair and she used it as both walking aid and to rest in while I pushed. She doesn’t need it now but it is there for that future day when it will no doubt be needed again.