Walking with household objects

Miss A

Oct 26, 2012
The South West
This afternoon my Dad walked out of the house and went to the local pub, in his possession was a tv remote control. Has anybody else experienced this with their loved ones? He is home safe now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum often puts odd things in her handbag before we go out, over time I have found rollers, cutlery, small framed photographs and a button tin.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Before my mother went to the care home, yes, she was starting to put very odd things into her purse, although not the TV remote (to my knowledge). I also find interesting things in her refrigerator in her room. So, yes, I think this could be an aspect of dementia. Interested to hear others' experiences.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
So far with Mum doesn't put things in too random a place.
Have found her glasses on the toilet cistern, food that goes in the fridge/freezer/pantry in the opposite places, but there was one thing I did have a chuckle to myself.

I am the main carer for Mum (74 with AD) & Dad (77 with cognitive impairment), so my sister offered to have them at her place for 3-4 nights.
I told Mum & Dad to pack enough clothes etc for 3 nights at least.
When putting their bag into the car I asked them, if they had their slippers, glasses, enough underpants etc. Yes, Yes, Yes were the replies from both.

Took them to my sisters and later that night got a call from my sister.
Dad had packed pyjamas, slippers and his glasses only... nothing else.
Mum had packed nightie, slippers, glasses, 5 prs of undies, 1 top, a packet of crackers and a packet of chips and a hand held mirror..... nothing ese.

Dad blamed the packing on Mum , saying he had put his things on the bed for Mum to put in the bag. Mum said he didn't :rolleyes:
If he did, Mum probably saw them and put them away.

Needless to say I had to drive back out with clothes.... They only stayed 2 nights...
My sisters house was too unfamiliar for Mum now :(

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
Before I realised Dad also had dementia, he packed Mum off to the hospital with a football scarf, a negligee, a spanner and a large clock :eek:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Before I realised Dad also had dementia, he packed Mum off to the hospital with a football scarf, a negligee, a spanner and a large clock :eek:

If she's a Manchester United fan, looks good in a see through nightie and a mechanic you'd never have to phone 123 again, What more could a man ask for in a woman:D
K

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
If she's a Manchester United fan, looks good in a see through nightie and a mechanic you'd never have to phone 123 again, What more could a man ask for in a woman:D
K

Huge laugh ! !

We are Reds and not Red Devils here :)

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Oh dear I sometimes find the remote control or the cordless phone in my handbag... I don't live with my Mum so it's me putting them in there! I plead the fifth amendment, reckon it's stress that makes me do this stuff... hope so anyway! :eek:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet