1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Walking with household objects

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Miss A, May 31, 2015.

1. Miss A

Miss A Registered User

Oct 26, 2012
    The South West
    This afternoon my Dad walked out of the house and went to the local pub, in his possession was a tv remote control. Has anybody else experienced this with their loved ones? He is home safe now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    My OH often picks it up thinking it's his phone.

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    My mum often puts odd things in her handbag before we go out, over time I have found rollers, cutlery, small framed photographs and a button tin.

4. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Before my mother went to the care home, yes, she was starting to put very odd things into her purse, although not the TV remote (to my knowledge). I also find interesting things in her refrigerator in her room. So, yes, I think this could be an aspect of dementia. Interested to hear others' experiences.

5. Linbrusco

Linbrusco Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Female
    Auckland...... New Zealand
    So far with Mum doesn't put things in too random a place.
    Have found her glasses on the toilet cistern, food that goes in the fridge/freezer/pantry in the opposite places, but there was one thing I did have a chuckle to myself.

I am the main carer for Mum (74 with AD) & Dad (77 with cognitive impairment), so my sister offered to have them at her place for 3-4 nights.
    I told Mum & Dad to pack enough clothes etc for 3 nights at least.
    When putting their bag into the car I asked them, if they had their slippers, glasses, enough underpants etc. Yes, Yes, Yes were the replies from both.

Took them to my sisters and later that night got a call from my sister.
    Dad had packed pyjamas, slippers and his glasses only... nothing else.
    Mum had packed nightie, slippers, glasses, 5 prs of undies, 1 top, a packet of crackers and a packet of chips and a hand held mirror..... nothing ese.

Dad blamed the packing on Mum , saying he had put his things on the bed for Mum to put in the bag. Mum said he didn't :rolleyes:
    If he did, Mum probably saw them and put them away.

Needless to say I had to drive back out with clothes.... They only stayed 2 nights...
    My sisters house was too unfamiliar for Mum now :(

6. Not so Rosy

Not so Rosy Registered User

Nov 30, 2013
    Before I realised Dad also had dementia, he packed Mum off to the hospital with a football scarf, a negligee, a spanner and a large clock :eek:

7. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    If she's a Manchester United fan, looks good in a see through nightie and a mechanic you'd never have to phone 123 again, What more could a man ask for in a woman:D
    K

8. Not so Rosy

Not so Rosy Registered User

Nov 30, 2013

Huge laugh ! !

We are Reds and not Red Devils here :)

9. Mannie

Mannie Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Bracknell area
    I laughed out loud at this!!

10. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    #10 Suzanna1969, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Oh dear I sometimes find the remote control or the cordless phone in my handbag... I don't live with my Mum so it's me putting them in there! I plead the fifth amendment, reckon it's stress that makes me do this stuff... hope so anyway! :eek: