Walking difficulties

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
My wife now walks very slowly with a walking stick in her right hand and me holding her left hand.the problem is that she is wanting to veer to the right and I am continually pulling her back.she never veers to the left.we actually make light of it and I tell her if i let her go she would walk in a circle and come back to me. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my husband used one stick and held on to me I ended up with a bad back. A friend suggested he should try using two sticks and I just walked beside him in case he needed help. This was a huge improvement and he became quite adept.

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
When my husband used one stick and held on to me I ended up with a bad back. A friend suggested he should try using two sticks and I just walked beside him in case he needed help. This was a huge improvement and he became quite adept.
Thanks for that suggestion but my wife cannot pick her feet up and I am sure she would stumble forward if i was not holding her as happened several times

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Like @marionq I ended up with back trouble after supporting my husband when we walked. When he started to use a stick I usually ended up holding it because he didn`t understand how to use ut.

Be careful of your back @slim-jim. We often don`t realise how much weight it is taking until the damage is done.

Last edited:

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Like @canary I ended up with back trouble after supporting my husband when we walked. When he started to use a stick I usually ended up holding it because he didn`t understand how to use ut.

Be careful of your back @slim-jim. We often don`t realise how much weight it is taking until the damage is done.
Thanks for the advice

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My aunt used to veer to the right. She was aware of doing it but couldn’t correct it. My dad found it much easier to walk with a wheeled Walker. I’m sure it would’ve solved my aunt's problem too but she was a proud woman and didn’t even like using a stick!

I have a bad knee which started while supporting my dad but still bothers me on and off 2 years after he died. I didn’t realise it was happening until too late and it took some very expensive chiropractic treatment to put it right again.

Catastrophe

Feb 15, 2019
My dad uses a wheeled walker as his balance is really bad. Without the walker he drags his feet, with the walker he doesn't and walks almost normally. I can keep him steady by just holding one side and steering a bit. Meaning I don't have to support him. It took a while to get him to use it as he did not want people to see him using it. He has got over that now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I left it too late for a walking frame for my husband.

By the time we got one he was unable to learn how to use it. Instead of taking a few steps and moving the frame forward, he just moved the frame and didn`t understand he needed to move his feet forward too.

Claire G

Jun 16, 2020
My dad uses a wheeled walker as his balance is really bad. Without the walker he drags his feet, with the walker he doesn't and walks almost normally. I can keep him steady by just holding one side and steering a bit. Meaning I don't have to support him. It took a while to get him to use it as he did not want people to see him using it. He has got over that now.
Hi

Claire G

Jun 16, 2020
Hi there

I have bought a walker for my Dad as he can walk a bit but then falls. It has a seat and brakes but my other half said it would be a danger because he will try and sit on it and forget to use the brakes ....have you had this issue please

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Yes this was a problem for my mum but she only used her rollator to go out with & during those times she wasn't alone. I had to keep telling her to put the brakes on. She didn't like sitting on it. Maybe indoors it won't roll so easily if used on carpet?

Claire G

Jun 16, 2020
Yes this was a problem for my mum but she only used her rollator to go out with & during those times she wasn't alone. I had to keep telling her to put the brakes on. She didn't like sitting on it. Maybe indoors it won't roll so easily if used on carpet?
Thank you - Maybe I will stick with the zimmer for now, or until he gets more mobility back :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi slim-jim thanks for the this thread
I found it very interesting because for past six months or so I have been doing exactly the same thing I also veer off to the right and bump into door frames and furniture my right is bruised all time, I actually noticed it when my medication was changed I was taking 225mg Irbesartan every day for blood pressure but after the removal of right kidney the Irbesartan was effecting my left kidney so they stopped it and I was given DOXAZOSIN 2mg then increased to 4mg that’s when I actually noticed myself getting head light, headaches and unbalanced so I reduced my DOXAZOSIN to 3mg myself I did inform my GP but didn’t talk to much about my veering off to the right to when walking to my GP, :rolleyes: I expect its probably something to do with my FTD brain activity however it has stopped my going for a walk now because I don’t want to veer off in from of a car / lorry and if I was in the street or super market I would be bumping into people but just another medical issue I need to get to grips with:D;)

reading replies its good to see its not unusual though

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Thank you - Maybe I will stick with the zimmer for now, or until he gets more mobility back :)
If I remember correctly I think the seat lid can be removed & would prevent your dad using it as a seat & just use it as a mobility aid. It really helped my mum keep her balance as she too, reading the other posts on here, used to veer off to one side. I also helped steer it!

Claire G

Jun 16, 2020
If I remember correctly I think the seat lid can be removed & would prevent your dad using it as a seat & just use it as a mobility aid. It really helped my mum keep her balance as she too, reading the other posts on here, used to veer off to one side. I also helped steer it!
Thanks Moggymad I will give a dust at the weekend and decide

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej