Walking around at night

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
My mum is aged 86 and has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. Until recently it was fairly mild, but in the last few weeks she has started waking in the middle of the night and walking around for up to an hour before going back to bed.
This means that she tends to wake up confused, meaning that she’s confused most of the time now which she wasn’t before. This is resulting in her not wanting to go out in the day as she feels confused. I’ve read this can be a sign of her dementia moving into the next phase. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Ladycp

Oct 25, 2021
Hi Clare,
I don't have an answer yet, I have the same issue with Mum. The doctors and her memory clinic have tried increasing her memantine medication and also prescribed sleeping tablets. These didn't work and I felt uncomfortable using them in case mum was groggy when walking around, they can increase the risk of falls.
We tried melatonin which helps to regulate the body clock but again this didn't have any effect. I agree, it feels like the start of the next stage. I'm waiting to hear back from the memory clinic doctors to see if there's anything that can be done. Will share if I hear of anything.
Caroline

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
Thanks Caroline. I think I need to speak to the GP and memory clinic about maybe a sleeping tablet to see if it makes a difference.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @clare77

It may be worth asking about an anti anxiety/anti-depressant like Mirtazapine which can be beneficial for both mood and sleep patterns. Not a sleeping tablet as such, so doctors are often more ready to prescribe.

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
Hello @clare77

It may be worth asking about an anti anxiety/anti-depressant like Mirtazapine which can be beneficial for both mood and sleep patterns. Not a sleeping tablet as such, so doctors are often more ready to prescribe.
Ok thanks for the advice