Walkabouts!!!!

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Hello everybody

Need some advice???

Dad has been taken into a home (12 week transistional stay), after a recent hospital visit between myself and social Services the time had come when I couldn't cope with Dad.

He is in his 4th week at the home, the first 2 weeks he was taking any opportunity to "escape", this had subsided over the last few days, however, I had a call today from the home telling me that Dad had "absconded", the Police had been informed!! He was found after 2 and half hour, needless to say I was really worried. I am quite concerned about his "walkabouts", does anybody have any thoughts or experience of this? What steps can the home put in place for Dad? When Dad was assessed one of the points recorded on the assement was concern that he needed 24/7 care/supervision???

I would be grateful for any pointers on this.

Thanks

Susi T

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Suzi,

Is your father in a secure unit?

My mother was an `escaper`, and no home would take her that didn`t have a secure unit. 24/7 supervision isn`t enough. There need to be combination locks on all exterior doors. Does the home where your father is resident have this?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Susi

That must be a very worrying situation for you. I'm glad your father was found safe and well, but it's not very satisfactory that it was allowed to happen.

Is your dad in a dedicated dementia/EMI unit? If not, I would think you urgently need a reassessment by SS. EMI units are generally more secure, and better staffed than ordinary nursing homes.

My husband has just moved into an EMI unit, and all the doors have keypads, and there are always plenty of staff around. If your dad's not in one like this, it sounds as if he should be.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh Suzi, what a problem.

"Secure unit" always sounds worse than it is. Lionel's home has "two sides"

One side, ever open doors. Dementia/EMI unit - key pad doors in place. Used to be just 4 figures for the key pad, when I was popping in and out to take Lionel to lunch. These days it is more like a telephone number, 11 digits. Very secure.

Do hope you can get something more secure for dad put in place soon.

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Hi Sylvia

The front door has a combination lock, all rooms have doors that open into the homes gardens, there is a fence outside Dad's room however, he is probabaly the fittest resident at the home. he has on occassions tried to "tag" onto other visitors to get out, (he does look like avisistor).

Although he never got far from the home he was still away for a long time!!

At home he was so used to going out in his garden, and just generally pottering around, he is finding it really hard to adjust. I have been advised by carers it can take up to 6 weeks for residents to settle in. He hadn't really bothered to get get out for at least 5 days, i keep trying to analyse why today!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Susi,

I wouldn`t be surprised if your father got out just because the opportunity presented itself, as simple as that.

My mother got out as a nurse was coming on duty. The nurse was new. My mother said, `It`s all right, I`m a visitor.` and out she went.

A secure unit, and I agree with Connie, the name does sound awful, has a higher ratio of staff, and would not have an fence low enough for even the most agile resident to climb.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
would not have an fence low enough for even the most agile resident to climb.
I once had to climb a 6 foot fence around the secure part of the assessment unit to follow a resident who had just done the same thing. Quite a big man and very confused, but on the other side, I kept him talking until staff arrived.

some of these folks define the word agile!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I stand corrected, and thank you, Bruce, for the best laugh of the night. My mind was working overtime.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi SusieT,Trickery will help most people get out of a situation,AZ/Dementia sufferers or not!Comings and goings in a home are sometimes anightmare.We have families who take their loved ones out and don't see fit to tell a member of staff!No-one can enter our home without staff knowing,the door is shut and a bell rings if someone wants to come in.Unfortunatley anyone can walk out,turn the catch and the door opens.We are not a secure unit,i just wonder if your dads home is a secure unit!love elainex

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Susi, I am pleased that your dad was found safe and well. I can see what a great worry this is for you and maybe Sylvia is right
Grannie G said:
I wouldn't be surprised if your father got out just because the opportunity presented itself,
this was the case with my Grandmother (even though many years ago). Grandma walked out with other visitors telling them she had visited her husband and she got on the bus which was going to the station. There someone thankfully noticed her confusion and alerted the police she was 83 years old. Also, it's possible your dad did hop the fence in any case as Hazel said;
Skye said:
but it's not very satisfactory that it was allowed to happen.
I hope that you can get this worry sorted out soon. Take Care Taffy.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Sounds like your dad needs more secure care than my mum. She had been found out at night, but since being in the home has shown no signs of any problems during the day, when the front door is unlocked. It is locked at 5 p.m., and they check on residents at night every hour - with my mum it is more like every half hour, cos she is up and dressed and ready for action! I am well impressed with them. But she has no problem in the daytime.

I think you have to look at your dad's needs and find somewhere suitable. For my mum, we did have a good alternative that we considered. It had a keypad on the front door, but some residents who were more able had the code to get out.

But dammit, I'd be devastated if my mum got lost! Not sure what you do about that.

Regards

Margaret

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Dad has been "out" again today, after discussion with the home manager I am going to speak to Social Services tomorrow, he is now into his fifth week at the home and I had hoped he would have settled by now. The manager has told me she will also speak to Social Services tomorrow, (although there is a secure front door keypad/code etc.), the police have been involved 3 times now, and she feels that Dad needs somewhere more secure.

Has anyone got any experience of this, changing homes for more secure etc.? Does this mean that Dad with have to be "locked up"? I know it is for his own safety etc. I did think he was beginning to settle down, shame because it is a lovely home, if there can be such a thing!!

Any advise would be gratefuuly received.

Best wishes to you all
XXXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Susi

I'm sorry your dad keeps 'escaping'. The unit he is in sounds just like John's, and although he wanders the corridors and goes into other people's rooms (this afternoon I found him asleep in someone else's bed!), he's never managed to get out of the unit.

The unit office is just by the door (keypad) into the main NH, so there is always someone keeping an eye on who's going in and out, so I don't think anyone could escape that way. The room doors open onto a corridor and the enclosed garden, and the windows to the outside can only be opened a few inches, certainly not enough to escape by. This is a registered EMI unit, but the residents are free to wander the corridors and garden.

If your dad's unit has similar security, I don't know what the next step is. It's scary, isn't it?

Let us know what's decided, I'll be interested.

Love and sympathy,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R