Waking earlier and earlier - any help ?

Country lady

Dec 5, 2017
My husband is now waking earlier in the morning - before 6am & will not settle again fir me . I am getting less sleep- coupled with his waking fir toilet during the night . Tried going to bed later - no difference - & I see the difference in his confusion due to lack of ‘ good quality’ sleep . He is not on sleeping tablets . Should I start using some ? Any ideas ? At present he is changing his clothes over and over - v upsetting . I will just have to intervene & shower / dress him .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Perhaps its a restlessness common in people who become less active during the day @Country lady or just a confused body clock.

My husband often slept during the day and was awake half the night and it was really frustrating but there was little I could do.

I did ask for medication but our doctor was against it saying it would increase the risk of falls.

Every doctor is different though and you might want to take advice from yours.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife suffers with anxiety and depression, as well as Alzheimer's, and she is on meds for this as well as her Alzheimer's. She sleeps very well. I wonder if your husband's behaviour might indicate an element of anxiety that the GP would be willing to treat and sleeping might improve as a by-product of the treatment.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Is the bedroom dark as it could be that the lighter mornings are the cause, my mum has a blackout blind behind the curtains to keep the room dark.