Waiting for the End.

Josiejo

May 21, 2014
Devon
Hi,
Why is this disease so cruel ?
It's some comfort to know that others have or are experiencing what we are currently going through.
I cant tell you how heartbroken and sad I am that my Mum's journey is ending like this.
She is in a wonderful care home and on Tues this week they called the GP as Mum was continuing to hold food and liquid in her mouth and the risk of choking was increasing. The GP said that they were to withhold all fluids etc this included her meds because of the risk of choking.
I m trying to find some comfort in this horrible situation.
Reading your posts has helped. I just wish I could make things better.
I used to tell my Mum everything is fixable...this isn't xxxxx

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It is so difficult to see our loved ones going through this and knowing we can't fix it. Before dementia I did think everything was resolvable, like you describe.

We are here to talk to when you need it. I took great comfort in knowing what was coming when my mum was at the end of her life, and that is because I had read about the changes and other people's experiences here, and there were several people who really helped me through it.

Please keep posting, and I hope your mum's care home continue to ensure that she's peaceful and comfortable.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad reached end of life last year and it is mixed emotions that we want our loved one to be free of this vile illness yet yearn for the person they used to be to still be around. As you say we accept with dementia at quite an early stage that it isn't fixable. I hope your mum is being kept comfortable and painfree and wish you strength at this difficult time and end of life peacefully arrives

Josiejo

May 21, 2014
Devon
It is so difficult to see our loved ones going through this and knowing we can't fix it. Before dementia I did think everything was resolvable, like you describe.

We are here to talk to when you need it. I took great comfort in knowing what was coming when my mum was at the end of her life, and that is because I had read about the changes and other people's experiences here, and there were several people who really helped me through it.

Please keep posting, and I hope your mum's care home continue to ensure that she's peaceful and comfortable.
Thank you SooBee ....you are so right.....I have found comfort today from this thread alone.xx

Josiejo

May 21, 2014
Devon
Dad reached end of life last year and it is mixed emotions that we want our loved one to be free of this vile illness yet yearn for the person they used to be to still be around. As you say we accept with dementia at quite an early stage that it isn't fixable. I hope your mum is being kept comfortable and painfree and wish you strength at this difficult time and end of life peacefully arrives
Thank you so much for replying....it is a comfort and relief to know that others have and are going through similar emotions. I wish non of us had too.xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there. Im sorry Im another with no wise words has this journey is a learning curve for me but I wanted to send you hugs xx

worried2

Aug 1, 2010
Hi Josiejo, thinking of you and wishing you strength. It's so hard, as you feel torn between not wanting to lose someone so dear but not wanting them to suffer either. Hoping that your mum is peaceful and pain free. Xx

Heathersperry

Mar 29, 2018
Hello we have been told.mums end of life too now down to 5 stone and thickened fluids because of aspirating risks it's a cruel cruel disease. I did think I'd done my grieving but I feel so down about it all it' a strange feeling because i feel I lost her years ago. Shes' had dementia for 16 years 7 years in a home xx