Waiting for diagnosis

AnnaA

Dec 30, 2021
I wonder if anyone could explain the procedure that follows once a patient is suspected of having dementia please.
My 82 year old mum is about to have a brain scan after a referral for suspected dementia by the doctor. She suddenly began behaving strangely at the beginning of December when she ‘lost’ a week insisting that dates we were telling her were wrong. We have had a difficult time with her since, she has started throwing shoes out of the window, hiding objects behind cushions and has manic obsessions with things. For example She has become fixated with moving house this weekend and insists a sofa is about to be delivered (nothing has been ordered)
I feel very sad and scared for what we are about to face and very anxious as we don’t have any power of attorney set up for her yet. Does anyone have experience of trying to get one set up before diagnosis or do you think it’s too late to do this?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @AnnaA and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
Has your mum been checked out for a urinary tract or other infection as that can cause major confusion in elderly people. How was she before she lost a week? Did you suspect dementia or was she more or less fine? Hopefully the brain scan and any tests for dementia will tell you what is happening. I don't know if these fact sheets will be helpful https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnosis.
As for Power of Attorney, as long as your mother understands in the moment why she is agreeing to the LPA you should be able to get it sorted. I guess it is worth having a discussion will all members of the family as to who will be the attorneys so that no one thinks your mother was coerced into doing it. If you have left it too late Deputyship is doable if a bit more of a faff. These pages explain a bit more https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/powers-of-attorney-and-deputy-orders-valid-examples
This is a very friendly and supportive place and you'll get lots of help and advice here.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I wonder if anyone could explain the procedure that follows once a patient is suspected of having dementia please.
My 82 year old mum is about to have a brain scan after a referral for suspected dementia by the doctor. She suddenly began behaving strangely at the beginning of December when she ‘lost’ a week insisting that dates we were telling her were wrong. We have had a difficult time with her since, she has started throwing shoes out of the window, hiding objects behind cushions and has manic obsessions with things. For example She has become fixated with moving house this weekend and insists a sofa is about to be delivered (nothing has been ordered)
I feel very sad and scared for what we are about to face and very anxious as we don’t have any power of attorney set up for her yet. Does anyone have experience of trying to get one set up before diagnosis or do you think it’s too late to do this?
Not necessarily too late, get it started as soon as you can. Court of protection deputyship is far more onerous. Good luck to you. Warmest. Geraldine

AnnaA

Dec 30, 2021
Thank you for your reply. Mum was checked for a uti and it came back clear. Mum has always had slightly erratic behaviour but has always been on the ball with dates etc and we noticed a sudden dramatic decline in her over the past month or so. We were told the scan would happen within the next couple of weeks so hopefully we will have a clearer picture then. We strongly suspect it is dementia as her behaviour fits in with everything we’ve read so far in particular vascular dementia. Sadly my Dad is under palliative care so the strain in him is awful too.
Thank you for the links for the info on the poa - I think it’s a matter of urgency for us to get that sorted now.