Waiting for diagnosis...

Catfish

Jan 6, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice please.

I'm 50 and have been having problems with my memory for the past 2 years. At first I shrugged it off as just being a bit muddled, but the last 5 months have been awful.

After a visit to my GP where I did a few tests he referred me to a memory clinic. I received a telephone appointment 4 weeks later which my husband did as my language skills have deteriorated considerably. It turned out this was to make another appointment for yet another telephone appointment, again 4 weeks later. After much wrangling he managed to get them to agree to give an appointment to the memory clinic.

I feel so upset to be causing so much trouble, but I know I have to do something. I wanted to keep my problems private from my family, and keep telling them it's the menopause (I'm not sure how much longer they are going to believe it). I am so afraid of what the results might be and how we will deal with them.

I'm sorry if this rambles, it's taken me ages to write, and I have spell checked it so hope it makes some sense. Just venting really in the hopes that you my have some advice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Catfish and welcome to Talking Point.

Your post makes perfect sense :).
Please dont worry that you are causing trouble over your appointment - it sounds to me as though the memory clinic is at fault here. I am glad that your husband has managed to get you an actual appointment. I understand your not wanting to tell others, but once you have a diagnosis it would be better to start telling family and those people who you trust. You may find that some people will have worked it out anyway

Catfish

Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for your lovely reply @canary

It makes me feel so much better just to speak to people who understands... thank you x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Catfish, welcome to the forum from me too. You are, indeed, now among people who understand, and can give great support, so I hope to see you continuing to post.

Your history sounds a bit like my wife's. She was in her 50's when she started to get muddled and put everything down to the menopause and tried every treatment she could find. By the time she got to her early 60's I could tell that something other than the menopause was at work. Anyway, to cut a long story short we are now post diagnosis and living as good a life as we ever did.

My wife didn't want to tell anybody about her diagnosis but I advised her that it would be a good idea and we are both glad that this was done as people have been very understanding.

I hope things get more settled for you and that you will let us know how you get on.

Catfish

Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to reply @karaokePete

It has been very helpful. We are just trying to make our way through all the red tape (at least my husband is). I have found it very stressful simply trying to get an appointment. I couldn't have done it on my own.

Thank you for letting me know about your wife, it has really helped. People here are so friendly and don't judge so thank you x