Waiting for an observational assessment bed

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Both my parents are in hospital waiting for bed in a CH for assessment. The waiting is so hard for them n dad every day says if they come home we can manage but I've burned out and can't do it any more. Like some others on TP I live next door to them.
I am wondering how long others have had to wait. This is through LA route x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I hope beds in a suitable care home become available soon and that the assessment goes well .

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
I think you know that you can't continue any more with what you're doing. Hold your ground. Do not let things go back to how they were. Explain to dad that you must wait for a CH to become available and you try to rest up while they are in hospital to give you the energy and support you'll give your parents when the move comes. They will find a CH for your parents as we keep hearing about all the bed blocking that's going on, they must get them out of hospital ASAP.
Good luck and stay strong X Christine

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Thank you Christine for your timely reminder as I was telling myself that John Wayne isn't going to gallop up to rescue me so I better get back on the journey. I feel as if I'm failing them when logic tells me I've gone as far as I can x

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
I am stunned by events of today. Whilst visiting dad this morning in hospital a phone call came through saying a bed is available in the ch and he will go as soon as transport is arranged. He's keen and I'm keen. I took his tv and bits about four o'clock and he was okay. Two hours later I got a call to say he's going home and they can't stop him as he's been deemed to have capacity at eleven thirty this morning before he was discharged. He was deemed no capacity following Drs meeting and best interest meeting a few weeks ago. His feeding tube was removed, meds stopped. He's now at home on his own. I don't understand at all

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi Roses, sorry no one has responded, it maybe because there are not that many people on this particular part of TP. Try reposting on ' I care for a person with Dementia' as more people are on there who have a lot of experience.

Good Luck

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh roses, I am totally gobsmacked. I cant believe that has happened

I can only suggest that you contact the SW and play merry hell. Tell them that you are no longer able to care for him and you will hold them responsible for any problems.
Then when the inevitable happens, call an ambulance/GP/police/whoever is appropriate.

Im hoping someone else comes along who has more experience than me.

Bubsho

Oct 24, 2013
London
Call PALS

I requested a 30 day bed for my father and we waited a week, they can drag their heels a bit, you can speak with PALS (Patients advisary Liasion service) but just keep pushing,
This is what I've learnt and don't give up. This is an awful time but it will get easier, my dad now has full residential/nursing care and we are finally getting the support we need. My father is very young (68).
This is a lot for you to take on, it seems what may be delaying things is that they are trying to find a room for them together but you may have to be ready for a separate room/home situation whilst they try and find one for them both together. remember this is not forever, Determine what you want the best outcome to be and write it down so when it comes to the review after the assessment you can be in the driving seat!