Vulnerable Group

Lucas

May 8, 2020
I am Joanna and I am married to Guy who has Alzheimers . I am 73 and he is 75. I find it hard to understand that dememtia patients are not considered to be a vulnerable group vis a vis Coronavirus. Guy has no understanding of social distancing and his main aim in life over the past 8 weeks has to been to escape and to go racing up to anyone and everyone. I am finding this situation very difficult, the only conversation I have is with him and that revolves around probably two or three subjects, usually as to whether he has been fed or not (when he has) or about when he last had a bath (whch he tends to have every five minutes) and that he needs to take the dogs for a walk in the middle of the night (which he can't). I do in fact have a private carer, my gardener, who comes in off and on but there must be people out there who have little, if any help, and cannot possibly be expected to understand the ramifications of this virues when they are unable to understand normal things is life.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Joanna Lucas and welcome to DTP

I think you speak for many of us here. The list of "shielded" people is, IMO, very restricted and leaves out a lot of people. You and your husband are, in fact, considered "vulnerable" on the grounds that you are both over 70, but you are right that dementia in itself is not considered sufficient to make you vulnerable. It must be very difficult for people with early onset dementia, who have no-one around who understands.

Lucas

May 8, 2020
There are so many dementia patients who live alone, God knows how they cope. Yes, we are considered vulnerable being over 70 but that does not help when one has to get food and only one person is allowed into a shop. I cannot leave my husband at home or in the car because he quite simply wont be there when I come out and so it goes on. I really feel that this government needs to pay more attention to people with dementia. There are thousands with this terrible disease and it is hardly noted or commented on by government. And actually, they now believe that this new virus will cause many more cases of dementia in the future because of its effects on the brain and lack of oxygen etc.
Thank you so much for your response.
Jo

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband is shielded due to his bad copd and has to stay away from people. its hard tonight as we are surrounded by people having parties illegal as more than one household meeting up and no social distancing so we are staying inside out of the way. they are drinking bbq some are going to have sore heads in the morning. loud music as well, all different types all playing at the same time. its not sour grapes on my part it just makes my husband more vulnerable than he already is.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum, @Joanna Lucas. Lockdown has exacerbated problems with caring for a person with dementia and it will be so much harder from people living alone. Have you spoken to Social Services about your shopping needs and your husband's care needs. They contacted me and have arranged with a local charity to do our shopping.