Voucher System

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
This probably sounds ungrateful, mean and obnoxious but it is not meant to be.

I am not computer literate and find difficulty in achieving the most simple things that most other people can master in no time at all.

I have tried to contact the counsel and care people suggested by TP members but find it totally impossible to contact them to ask questions that are relevant to my case.

My computer, or the site management or some gremlin insists that I log in and takes me down about 12 routes. 6 of which I guess at (blindly) and the other 6 I just keep pressing yes and hoping for the best.

Does anyone know what the difference is between an encrypted e mail address and a non encrypted amail address and why is it so important?

I have e mailed my MP already and alerted him to the intransigence of the Doncaster Social Services but I am still awaiting a reply.

I have also e mailed Social Services and told them what I am doing i.e going directly to the organ grinder. They have not responded either.

I'll give a few more days then contact the House of Lords.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Grommit the counsel and care site doen't seem to have a directed query system so what I think is happening is something with your own email server. Unfortuately I don't what software you're using so I can't make any suggestions. You could try calling them: however, be aware that it was these people (well one person - maybe she was having a bad day) who insisted, absolutely insisted, that an EPA ceased to be valid after the donor had lost competence.:eek:

You can email them though by using your normal email system (and you say you've emailed your MP so you don't have a problem there) by either cutting and pasting or simply typing in advice@counselandcare.org.uk in the send to line.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Jenniferpa - thanks for the response. The site has a telephone number and I shall contact them by phone tomorrow.

I have received a response from the Social Services where i requested that they quote chapter and verse the part of the legislation which precludes me from applying for the payment.

The response effectively only says "you cannot have it because we say so"

So I too have responded as follows:-

"I have written to MP J Ennis and explained the situation including the fact that precedents have taken place within other Councils in England.

I am awating his response before I take this further.

It appears to me that that the current legislation does indeed state that recipients make the claim, however it does not preclude anyone making a claim on behalf of the recipients.

What happens in the cases of parents making claims on behalf of disabled children?

No mention is made in the legislation of the EPA which is a legal document drawn up when Jean was capable of making the decision.

I thank you for your further interest in this matter and do believe that, I quote from one Alzheimers carer that has recieved the Direct Payments after his wife was incapable of applying, "It would appear that the Payments Team are adhering strictly to the letter of the law".

So be it. If that is the case I shall make every effort to scrutinise all proceedings of the payments team in order to establish whether or not they have adhered to all legislation which affects them in the same manner.

I have the legal right to do this and believe me I shall exercise that right, ad nauseum."

Let battle commence.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Grommit, I'm very sorry you are having such a titanic struggle. I should have just posted the C and C helpline number but was in a bit of a rush. The help I got from Counsel and Care dates back about fifteen months. I spoke to an adviser who was meticulous in her attentiveness and who gave me detailed advice and information which she later put into writing . Her typed response arrived, I think, by the next possible post and I was astounded at the service I had received. However, I hear what Jennifer says and it may be that the person who helped me is no longer there or that someone else answered Jennifer's query.

If you can wait until the beginning of next week, I may be able to get some further advice from a friend who is professionally involved in welfare rights issues. Please don't give up. We'll all rooting for you and Jean. I think you are at the cutting edge on this issue and I hope you get all the support you deserve from the relevant organisations.
Love Deborah

Last edited:

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Thank you Deborah.

I think with the invaluable assistance I am receiving from TP members, the Doncaster Social Services will not know what has hit them.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Today i have had a letter from my MP.

Basically it tells me that all the e mails I have sent have not been received and would I mind writing it all down for him.

Odd that 7 E mails should go missing.

At least I have an acknowledgement, there is someone in London after all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Grommit.

Forgive my ignorance, but if emails aren`t delivered, doesn`t the sender get a notice. They were probably deleted `in error`. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you can resurrect them and post them in email form.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Direct Payments

In our case for Direct Payments, the S.W. assessed how many hours per week my husband needed. The Council paid into a seperate account I had set up whereby the cheques were made out to my husband but I had the authority to handle the money. As my husband deteriorated and needed more help, the hours were increased as so was the Direct Payment.
If we are applying for any benefits that our loved ones are entitled to the powers that be make it so hard for us. When my husband was receiving D.L.A. lower rate, I actually received a call from our Local Council to inform to to re-apply for the higher rate which my husband duely received and it was back dated.
To show what a incompetent lots this people are on one occassion phoning about a benefit, I was asked when will you husband be able to return to work. I was livid and explained with due respect it is not a illness that has a cure.
As for writing to M.P. - I wrote to one of our local M.P.'s regarding the drugs and she sent back a two page letter informing me she has more important things to deal with that the drug. So I sent a copy of letter to local A.S. Branch.
Until they experience the illness withing their own families, you do not have a clue.
Christine

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Quick update. Ihave responded to my Mp's letter but have had no response so far.

I told him inter aliathat I had firm evidence that other carers were are and were receiving Direct Payments and that I could supply details of the Councils involved if necessary.

I await his reply.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I have now received a response from my MP.

Effectively he has passed the matter to "The Director for Healthier Communities"

Anyone ever heard of them?

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Grommit,
I just thought I'd say that I'm sorry that your MP hasn't been of much help. I think that I have been very lucky with mine, and I may now have to change the way I vote :D Not only did she reply immediatly she also wrote directly to the Decretary of State for Health and the Head of Social Services in my area on my behalf. I have now received acceptable assurances and support.

It wasn't to do with Direct Payment. But was to do with the fact that when working out what we had to pay that no allowance was taken for the fact that we have dependant children and the appalling lack of facilities for younger sufferes.

Keep fighting!
Jackie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts