Vomiting

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago. Until about 6 weeks ago he was taking Donepezil but then his Consultant decided to try Rivastigmene. He started on 3 mg twice a day increasing to 4.5 mg twice a day. The plan is to then increase the dose to a maximum 6 mg. However he has been having quite violent bouts of vomiting. Our GP says to stick with the Rivastigmene when I queried whether they were the cause of the sickness. I would be interested to know whether any one else has suffered with the same thing and will it pass if it is a side effect

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My mum couldn't tolerate the tablets, but was fine with the patches - and it really did help with her "fogginess" as she described it - perhaps this might help your husband. The vomiting is a really unpleasant and intolerable side effect for some people.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago. Until about 6 weeks ago he was taking Donepezil but then his Consultant decided to try Rivastigmene. He started on 3 mg twice a day increasing to 4.5 mg twice a day. The plan is to then increase the dose to a maximum 6 mg. However he has been having quite violent bouts of vomiting. Our GP says to stick with the Rivastigmene when I queried whether they were the cause of the sickness. I would be interested to know whether any one else has suffered with the same thing and will it pass if it is a side effect

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi Nicoise. Thank you for your reply. I wondered if the patches would be more beneficial. I am pleased to hear your mum benefitted from them. I will ask his Doctor if he will prescribe them instead.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
It shouldn't be difficult for the doctor to change the prescription, and might be the answer for your husband.

Good luck with the GP - just be a bit firm with him/her!

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
As so much is still unknown about what causes dementia the field seems open to test new drugs to see effect they have in treatment. But that new meds sounds like a horrible one if it has that effect, what was wrong with previous meds they were on, not working well enough to help? Should push for them to either go back on previous meds or get doc to prescribe patches of same meds.
My wife is on no drugs now, having been started on them when she first saw consultant, but they changed her to much n didn't pursue her taking them when she didn't want to, she is so much better being herself without them even though slight harder work! at times

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited by a moderator:

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
There are only 3 drugs at the moment for treating Alzheimer's. Donepezil which my husband took for 3 years. Then it was found not to be so beneficial as some of the side effects outweighed the benefits. Memantane which he also tried. But again severe vomiting, diahorrea and really bad headaches weren't helping. So we are now with the third Rivastigmene. I am wondering whether coming off the medication will be of any benefit. He is very confused at times. Also having hallucinations. They are not frightening. Just that he holds lengthy conversations with whoever except what he is saying makes no sense

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
My wife being on any medicines at all feels confused n gets frightened at times as well as frustrated at how she feels. She talks to people on tv n in magazines n when she talks its a gobbledegook (no understandable words most of the time now), but she's seem happier doing so so I leave her to do it, she's been like that for some time now. To her she's talking as she would normally but it's all non understandable n only by judging how she says it can I answer in right way; if she says it like a question etc.
Messing about n doing silly things helps lighten things n make her laugh n forget the misery she's suffering for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
That sounds how my husband is on medication. I am wondering if it would be very much worse if he comes off it altogether

Daddygee

Jan 12, 2015
West Sussex
Rivastigmine

Hello Diannie, my wife has been on rivastigmine over 5 years firstly on tablets then on 6mg patch per 24 hours.She was having problems with tablets,nausea etc,but since she has been on patches she has had no side effect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet