Vomiting phegm

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Vomiting phlegm

My husband wasn't really eating yesterday, He has had swallowing difficulties for some time now and pneumonia in the past. He had a few teaspoons of a dessert and then vomited, nearly all phlegm. Is this usual and how can it be best managed? This is such a heartbreaking stage.....
Regards
Mags

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I'm not medically trained so please ring 111.

I have seen this before when some food became stuck. The body seemed to produce phlegm as a way to try to remove the object.

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Thanks for all your replies. Fortunately he hasn't vomited today, although only ate 1/4 weetabix for breakfast. Will get own GP to review tomorrow. This stage is just so hard for everyone.
Best wishes to all.
Mags

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hello. This happened to my mother. I would sometimes take a tissue, and, using a glove on my hand, wrap the tissue around my index finger and use it to remove the excess saliva from her mouth. At the end stages, respiratory issues occur where the phlegm can be overwhelming to them. This is what happened to my mother. They eventually suggested a nebulizer, but my mother had an allergic reaction to that. It was very painful to watch her go through that last stage. I'd have given anything to have done it for her than see her go like that. I hope your GP has some good suggestions for you. Having a doctor's input is so helpful. Good wishes to you.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan