Vomiting in the car

Mrs W

Nov 3, 2012
So today we went out with MIL and FIL. Whilst we were out we called at a pub and had a couple of drinks, MIL had two mulled ciders. She didn't drink them quickly or down them just drank at a steady pace.

We set off home and about 20 mins into our journey she pulled her seatbelt and said her tummy was hurting. She then started to get a flush on and was burping a lot. I said to useless FIL that he needed to pull over which he did just in time for her to be helped out of the car to vomit repeatedly at the side of the road. She was shaky and shivery for a few minutes after but then got back in the car and calmed down even though she was burping still.

A similar thing happened in September. She's had these type of drinks before and has always enjoyed a drink so I don't think it's that but obviously now she can't verbalise the sick feeling and can't ask him to stop the car so it's always a worry.

Now it's happened twice in just a few months, I wondered if it might be related or if anyone had any views or similar stories to share. She does enjoy an alcoholic drink maybe once a week or so so we're reluctant to stop it especially as it seems to calm her down too!! I don't think it's a bug as she's just sick once then that's it and she's hungry again later. No history of travel sickness in fact she's always been a great traveller.

Any thoughts welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Is she on any medication? Anything that wouldn't "go" with alcohol? Otherwise, it could be the fizz? As people age, their digestion changes, and things they enjoy can play havoc. You say it's happened twice in a few months - has she had similar drinks in the meantimes, and not suffered the same reaction? Would it be the combination of the drinks and the motion of driving? Or was the cider drunk on an empty stomach? Cider is very acid stuff. I can't be of much help, I'm afraid, as I'm one who can't have any alcohol at all because of medication.

Mrs W

Nov 3, 2012
Memantine and aricpet, something for bloop pressure and cholesterol and has a sedative prescribed for when she has bad panic attacks. She drinks regularly already. I suppose it could be that she drank it on an empty stomach. It's just so hard when she can't tell you how she feels!! Thanks for your advice. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Steve115

May 17, 2016
Huntingdon area
Another thought..... Any mulled drink, wine or cider, will make me sick. Only tried mulled drink twice and was very sick twice. I put it down to the spices used, most likely the cloves. Steer clear of anything like this now.
Steve

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The problem is that (unless you ask) you've no idea what's in the mulled cider, there is no fixed recipe. It could contain; cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, all spice, sloe berries...any number of things that don't agree with her and as said may react with her medication. I'd stick to the simple drinks in life that she's never had a problem with in the past with minimum ingredients.
K