Voice controlled music.ie alexa

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
I wonder if anyone like my wife cannot operate remote controls or switches/buttons etc to turn on a radio etc. But they love to listen to their favourite music.in my wife's case it is classical music,Classic FM is her favourite.we purchased a voice activated Alexa speaker which although I have to remind it is there she just speaks to the unit and hey presto.i do strongly recommend this as it also gives a sufferer a sense of independance and control.

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
I got an alexa for my husband for Xmas to stop him buying cd's he was spending 100's £ per month .
He can now command Alexa to play whatever music he wants..

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @slim-jim , my dad struggles due to blindness. He has a lisp so he couldn't get SIRI to operate his phone, Ive had to do speed dial on home phone instead. How is Alexa with speech impediments?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Siri is both deaf and stupid, but does have some amusing answers when you attempt to educate him on the error of his ways!
Alexa is much better !

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi @slim-jim , my dad struggles due to blindness. He has a lisp so he couldn't get SIRI to operate his phone, Ive had to do speed dial on home phone instead. How is Alexa with speech impediments?
Have you any friends with Alexas?
Could you telephone them , and get them to hold the handset next to a unit and see if it responds to his voice command?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My mum didn't remember my name, never mind a black cylinder on the side!

Great if it works, frustrating if it doesnt.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @MartinWL , unfortunately I will not be able to see my dad for a couple of weeks. My mum (PWD) has suddenly decided that I am trying to force her into a home. She has been swearing and shouting at me and getting very agitated today so my brother has agreed to take over my share of the caring visits for a few weeks to give her chance to calm down / forget.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
@Weasell I tried this and it can work but it is a bit hit and miss. I put my mobile close to the alexa device and called it from a landline, then asked alexa a few questions. I found I had to speak loudly to get an answer but I expect if the phone concerned was on speakerphone it would work, or the person shouted! So it all depends on whether the person can be reliably prompted to put the phone in the right place, and the caller's ability to speak loudly and distinctly.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
@Weasell I tried this and it can work but it is a bit hit and miss. I put my mobile close to the alexa device and called it from a landline, then asked alexa a few questions. I found I had to speak loudly to get an answer but I expect if the phone concerned was on speakerphone it would work, or the person shouted! So it all depends on whether the person can be reliably prompted to put the phone in the right place, and the caller's ability to speak loudly and distinctly.
Many thanks for trying !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A