Vocalisations during sleep/half-sleep

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Hi everyone,

Mother has been doing a lot better in the last month - it may be that the increased dose of Mirtazapine has finally kicked in, the regular Paracetamol she is now receiving or, more recently, a small dose of pregabalin. The only problem is, she is still battling with calling out during the night - she knows she does it and really wants to stop it, but a lot of times it's when she's asleep/half asleep. I'm wondering if there's some device that might sense noises over a certain level and make a bit of a noise to wake her - or is that cruel? :confused:I'm just worried the nursing home will insist on her being sedated more heavily.... Many thanks

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I hope you find an answer to this problem. It must be distressing for your mum, and I can see how it might be a problem for the Care Home, because someone where my husband is must have similar problem, and it does disturb others.

A simple solution might be for her to be given a room where a bit of noise won't disturb others, if they have one. I do feel for her, and you.

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Suitable room

I hope you find an answer to this problem. It must be distressing for your mum, and I can see how it might be a problem for the Care Home, because someone where my husband is must have similar problem, and it does disturb others.

A simple solution might be for her to be given a room where a bit of noise won't disturb others, if they have one. I do feel for her, and you.

Thanks Rageddy Anne - she already has a suitable room for this - plenty of space between rooms and hard of hearing people on both sides! However, the nursing home sees fit to move her to a much smaller room which would disturb others far easier - bizarre!

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Can she vocalise due to dreams? Can someone record and classify on bad and good dreams?

If she is waked up suddenly (ie alarm clock) while screaming, how does she reacts? Does she calm down, relate a nightmare? Does she need career comfort her?

I would talk to GP, with some samples of good and bad dreams before interfering on sleep pattern.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Moving her to a smaller room doesn't make any sense that I can think of., unless it's further away from other occupied rooms. Maybe they would explain if you ask why.

Let's hope this, like so many things Dementia related, is short lived. The main thing, I suppose, is that she doesn't think she's troubling other people, and feel distressed herself.

It must be quite a common matter in Care Homes....In my husband's I don't think any other residents are actually bothered by it, and this morning my husband didn't seem to be either. Maybe it bothers us more...

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Thanks...

Thanks...

I'm afraid the Home uses it as a 'disturbance to other residents' issue and want to use that to get her medicated more... the more I write about this Home the more I think it's not the one for my mother - problem is, many homes and doctors seem to run along the same lines and run hand-in-hand. It really worries me.

She has nightmares/dreams and vocalises during them - but not often, just loudly! If I'm there sleeping, I say 'it's ok Mother' and she stops immediately. She is learning not to do it (if she wakes up from it). I think the Home partly thinks if she's closer to other people she'll feel safer - but it's a risk both I and my mother are not prepared to take!