VJ Day Celebrations

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

The grief has just welled up again and the tears have flowed because yesterday was mum's anniversary (Aug 2008) and today is the VJ day celebrations and the Red Arrows will fly over Essex later and all I can think of is when dad saw them at Southend Airshow for the first time. I was there with him and I remember the big smile on his face. He died in June last year and I remember him telling mum and I about the school playground in Malaysia being bombed. Being evacuated to the jungle and losing an uncle on the Burmese railway and another uncle being rescued from the Burmese railway only to die a year later. I was very close to dad before becoming a carer mum and I also listened to stories from my grandmother about the war here but mum was born in the war whereas dad was just before the war so he had some memory of it. In my dreams when I was carer I dream that mum was right beside me when I went about my caring duties.

I used to bring dad books from the library about the war to keep him occupied.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Izzy. What with mum's anniversary and me helping dad with his memory but reminiscing about the war it's quite difficult. Of course dad and I both had an interest in aircraft and we went to the airshows together. I remember phoning the care home up to let them know that Dakotas were going to fly over on VE day last year and six days later he was dead.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou @canary,

I remember the books that had on the war but when I started getting library books for him and seeing some of the pictures they were horrifying but they evoked some sort of memory for him. I used to talk about the war to him and his friends in the care home. Mum had of course already passed away so I used to talk about my grandmother's memories of watching the Germans coming up the Thames and us stopping them. She wasn't afraid to go down to the cliffs with her baby daughter!!!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou. I've been out for a walk so I feel but fourteen months on if something brings back the memories in the morning it can still bring back the tears. I shall never forget my beloved parents I just still can't believe they've both gone.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
oh MaNaAk im so sorry that the memories of sadder times are coming thick and fast. do they help you to heal or am i being naive. i have read so many books about the war and the japanese and knew VJ day is soon. i dont mean novels but real accounts of especially internship of the woman and children nurses etc. im probably making it worse. and the japanese and the chinese and invasion. i always wanted to go to singapore and raffles the hotel. its all the firsts of events eg first christmas first birthday and first time that your dad wont be there to see the fly past. will you watch it for him?remember him and the pleasure it gave you and your dad. thinking of you please take care and do what you feel jenny

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Jenny,

When you are confronted by the memories you do heal a bit. Like you I have always been interested in the war and it has been more fascinating as I've got older.

Unfortunately the fly past was cancelled due to bad weather but today I had good weather to go to the cemetery. It was good to see dad's tombstone for the first time and laid pink roses on both mum and dad's graves. A sad occasion but it was a beautiful day.

I hope you're back is okay and that your husband is still okay with carers.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
when we get an assessment. my back is in agony and im fighting through each day to see what would stop the pain and you get through the night and all you have is another day to fight through. im just trying to hide it but i said one day there will be no more fight in me to get through the days.sorry i shouldnt have said anything to you either totally insensitive considering what you are going through at the moment. do you like talking about your parents and their lives.going round a school or something and talk about what it was like in malaysia then or another time and build a picture of scenery or activities that your grandmother would have done plants even photos. im getting all poetic but id gladly listen to the memories and drawing a picture with words. you have just made me feel enthusiastic about something now. even the music and different instruments they used.it would be interesting and compliment your musical instrument lessons be kind to yourself do what you need to do and can i make a suggestion that you put a couple of pink roses in a vase on a table or something at home. jenny

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katejacko