Viv L

Viv L

Jul 5, 2015
Hi, I care for my Mum who has been diagnosed recently with dementia! She has started to wander and, although she always makes it home could be out for 8 hours or more! I believe she misses her bus stop and walks around 'til she finds her way home! I was considering a GPS Tracking system! Can anyone recommend one or other system for 'tracking'?

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi Viv, Welcome to TP. There is a system called 'Tile' You attached it to someone's clothing or other item that you know they will not leave the house without. There are also other GPS devices that are inside a watch. If you google them on Amazon or other similar sites you will find a wealth of information. The only downside of course is that the person has to be wearing it when they leave the house so its not 100% foolproof.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Get in touch with your local telecare department via social services, they might be able to give you some device for free. They did for us.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hi, Viv, and welcome to TP. I hope you find some helpful advice and information here.

You may want to have a search on here for GPS trackers as I'm sure there have been past threads about this.

I can't give any specific recommendations for brand names or devices, but have seen the following strategies mentioned:

-using the GPS in a person's mobile to track them (must have phone, phone must be on and charged)

-putting GPS tracking devices in a person's purse, if they always carry one particular purse, or the pocket of a coat or jacket, ditto. However, people have reported that their family members have found these devices and discarded them.

-sewing the GPS tracking device into the lining of a purse or jacket; I think eventually the batteries or power source would wear down and you'd need to replace it, plus of course, if they don't take the item with them and/or lose it, you can only track the item, and not the person

-putting a GPS tracking device into a shoe, although I don't know how that works

I have also seen comments from those who have somehow registered their family member (officially or otherwise) with the local police.

I hate to be the voice of doom, but wandering is not an uncommon symptom with dementia. Have you thought about what will happen when she does not, or is not able to return home? Or if she were to suffer an accident or medical emergency while on walkabout? Might there be repercussions if your mum has been gone for hours, in terms of not taking medications, not eating/drinking, or being inadequately dressed for the weather?

Please understand I am not attacking you or criticizing you in any way. My mother was diagnosed with dementia after a hospital stay prompted by being found wandering in January, very early in the morning, disoriented, with no coat in very cold weather. She'd fallen and had a black eye and bruises all over. If she'd wandered to the main road/highway she could easily have been hit by a car; if she hadn't been found by a Good Samaritan she likely would have died of exposure. I would not want that to happen to anyone.

Hollyx

Jan 12, 2014
Hi, I care for my Mum who has been diagnosed recently with dementia! She has started to wander and, although she always makes it home could be out for 8 hours or more! I believe she misses her bus stop and walks around 'til she finds her way home! I was considering a GPS Tracking system! Can anyone recommend one or other system for 'tracking'?

We used a tracker from Loc8tor - it was very useful for a while. The tracker was tiny and could be put inside a bag/rucksack easily so not noticed and interfered with!!
It sent a text to our mobile if it left a zone around the house ( you can choose how big an area) Then you can see map on computer/ iPad etc to locate!!
All the best and good luck xxx

Viv L

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks everyone! I have researched on google and have seen a couple of interesting devices! Does anyone else use them? I am now looking at the apps for phones! I will def try the telecare dept of social services! Thanks all!

Viv L

Jul 5, 2015
Hi, Exactly why I'm looking into tracking devices. There's so many and I'm a bit of a techno-phobe! But I'm sure I'll find something to help us!!
Hi, Viv, and welcome to TP. I hope you find some helpful advice and information here.

You may want to have a search on here for GPS trackers as I'm sure there have been past threads about this.

I can't give any specific recommendations for brand names or devices, but have seen the following strategies mentioned:

-using the GPS in a person's mobile to track them (must have phone, phone must be on and charged)

-putting GPS tracking devices in a person's purse, if they always carry one particular purse, or the pocket of a coat or jacket, ditto. However, people have reported that their family members have found these devices and discarded them.

-sewing the GPS tracking device into the lining of a purse or jacket; I think eventually the batteries or power source would wear down and you'd need to replace it, plus of course, if they don't take the item with them and/or lose it, you can only track the item, and not the person

-putting a GPS tracking device into a shoe, although I don't know how that works

I have also seen comments from those who have somehow registered their family member (officially or otherwise) with the local police.

I hate to be the voice of doom, but wandering is not an uncommon symptom with dementia. Have you thought about what will happen when she does not, or is not able to return home? Or if she were to suffer an accident or medical emergency while on walkabout? Might there be repercussions if your mum has been gone for hours, in terms of not taking medications, not eating/drinking, or being inadequately dressed for the weather?

Please understand I am not attacking you or criticizing you in any way. My mother was diagnosed with dementia after a hospital stay prompted by being found wandering in January, very early in the morning, disoriented, with no coat in very cold weather. She'd fallen and had a black eye and bruises all over. If she'd wandered to the main road/highway she could easily have been hit by a car; if she hadn't been found by a Good Samaritan she likely would have died of exposure. I would not want that to happen to anyone.