1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Q&A: Dementia Together Magazine - Wed 25 April, 4-5pm

Do you have any questions about Dementia together, previously known as Living with dementia magazine? Maybe you'd like to know how they worked with people affected by dementia to come up with the magazine's new name, or how they decide on the articles to publish each issue? Danny and Gareth from the magazine team will be on hand to answer your questions in this thread on Wednesday 25 April between 4-5pm.

Feel free to post any questions between now and then, and we'll answer them next Wednesday.

Vitamins

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by LesleyPort, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:15 AM.

1. LesleyPort

LesleyPort Registered User

Nov 4, 2017
    Morning all, our dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia. He does not take any vitamins but on patches for his dementia and statins. Can anyone recommend any vitamins that may help, obviously not the dementia but his general health.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @LesleyPort

There`s no guarantee vitamins will help but I appreciate you are willing to try anything to improve your dad`s health .

I can only suggest a good quality multi vitamin for the over 50s . I hope they help.

3. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

My husband's geriatrician told him that he should be taking a high dose of Vitamin B group which is readily available at the pharmacy. My husband also takes a supplement drink called Souvenaid but there's no way of telling if it helps or not. I figure that it can't hurt so anything is worth a try.

4. LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
    Thank you, anything is worth trying if it helps

5. LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
    Thank you, yes will try anything to improve or help his health

6. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    For general health, I give my mum a daily dose of vitamin c and a multi vitamin syrup

7. Tricot

Tricot Registered User

Jun 20, 2017
    France
    As mentioned above, a good quality B complex and make sure of vitamin D too. Would it be possible next time blood is taken to test for current levels? Especially of folates, B12 and vitamin D because the elderly can be seriously lacking in these. You're right to be thinking of maximizing general health, enabling your dad to cope better with whatever dementia throws at him. Be aware that although the percentages of RDA (recommended daily amount) on the label can seem excessively high, this is just because the body can't absorb all of the vitamin supplement. Sometimes it can use as little as 1%. Good luck.