Visitors to care homes

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Not posted for ages but just wanted to ask how much variation there is in how individual homes interpret the relaxation of rules regarding care home visits.

I last saw Mum early December and shortly afterward the home was closed due to a Covid outbreak, by the time it reopened my daughter and husband had been diagnosed with Covid and then after that my son got it.
I had planned to visit Mum on Saturday only to be told they had another couple of Covid cases so now they were closed to visitors for the next 14 days.
I know early in the pandemic the virus ran rife in care homes with awful consequences so I understand the caution but now all the residents are vaccinated, staff & visitors surely a visit to their special Covid suite would be allowed. I did not make a fuss as I really do feel they have to be cautious but I was disappointed and wondered how other families have found things in their loved ones homes.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I had planned to visit Mum on Saturday only to be told they had another couple of Covid cases so now they were closed to visitors for the next 14 days.
Ask the home about becoming an essential care giver,

"Every resident should be supported to choose an essential care giver to benefit from companionship and additional care and support provided by someone with whom they have a personal relationship.

Essential care givers can visit in periods of outbreak and when their friend or family member in a care home is isolating. If a care home resident has tested positive for COVID-19, essential care giver visits can be made in exceptional circumstances (for example, severe distress or end of life) with appropriate IPC support, and consideration of vulnerability and vaccination status of the essential care giver."

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Father Ted,

I don't know much about the care home situation at the moment but I just want to say hello as it's nice to see you here again.

MaNaAk

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Dear Father Ted,

I don't know much about the care home situation at the moment but I just want to say hello as it's nice to see you here again.

MaNaAk
Ah that is so sweet! I recognised your name immediately, I remember how you cared for your Dad.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Ask the home about becoming an essential care giver,

"Every resident should be supported to choose an essential care giver to benefit from companionship and additional care and support provided by someone with whom they have a personal relationship.

Essential care givers can visit in periods of outbreak and when their friend or family member in a care home is isolating. If a care home resident has tested positive for COVID-19, essential care giver visits can be made in exceptional circumstances (for example, severe distress or end of life) with appropriate IPC support, and consideration of vulnerability and vaccination status of the essential care giver."

Will look into this but just to clarify, it is not my Mum that has tested positive and she is not on end of life care. Simply another resident has tested positive and now no one can visit for 14 days.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @father ted my wife's home has been mainly open to visitors apart from a couple of weeks after New Year. The visits still have to be pre-booked, a lateral flow test and paperwork completed and PPE worn. We meet in my wife's room, currently twice a week. Her home has been cautious which may be why both staff and resident infections have been very few. I have not applied for ECG status.

I hope that you are able to visit soon.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As an ECG you can visit, rules for pre booked visits are broadly similar to those for members of staff.

Deedee1137

May 4, 2022
Good evening everyone, I’m new here, can I just ask for those that have relatives in care homes how often do you visit, I have cared for my stepdad for 7 years since my mum passed away. His dementia wasn’t that bad and he stayed quite independent till December 2021 when a UTI hit him and went into delirium. He was in hospital for 3 months then I had no choice but to get a care home for him. We are a family of five and all want to visit I go on average 3/4 times a week but I really want him to settle and engage with other resident. Is this too much.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Deedee1137
A warm welcome to DTP

You seem to be feeling that you might be visiting too often, so maybe cut your visits to a couple a week and see how that goes

There aren't any hard and fast rules about visiting or who might visit when, so over time you and other family members will work out a routine that fits ... you need some time for yourself and to get used to this new situation

I do think you're sensible to be wondering whether too much visiting might mean your stepdad takes longer to get used to his new environment and begin to trust and look to the staff for support ... do chat with the staff to reassure yourself that they are getting to know him and that he is fine on days without visits