Visiting son during covid

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Hi folks I look after my mother full time who has dementia and is bed bound in a hospital bed in the lounge.I have a 17 year old son(18 in a few weeks) that used to live with me 50% of the time.He stayed at his mothers all of lockdown but had his lunch in the garden a few times which progressed to him having his meal in his bedroom when it was too hot outside or it was raining this was between once a week or possibly a fortnight,he was in the house for about an hour each time.
His mother asked him a couple of weeks ago if he had been inside my house and he said yes,so she said well you might as well start stopping over the night again,I could see the logic in that and to be honest I was pleased to have him stopping again.
Mum didn't get a shielding letter as she only has dementia but I'm type 2 diabetic,I'm starting to worry about him coming round to stop now as he has a sister at his mums house, that I think is 7 who I assume is back to school so I'm looking at that as a strong route of transmission possibly without symptoms then being passed to my house.
I justified him visiting as I thought,well mum has 4 double handled care visits each day by 8 different carers each week and they will have their own families and shopping trips and boyfriends from other homes that they were visiting,although of course those carers now do wear masks.
So I'm thinking should I tell him that he can't stop?,I might even buy an infrared thermometer. to check him at the front door.I just thought I would ask on here to see what other people think.
His routine is that he stops on a Thursday one week and the next week he stops on The thursday,Friday,Saturday and Sunday and so on.

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If your mother has that many carers each week I really cannot see that, at this stage, one more visitor would make much difference.

presumably at his age he is fairly responsible and can take sensible precautions?

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
If your mother has that many carers each week I really cannot see that, at this stage, one more visitor would make much difference.

presumably at his age he is fairly responsible and can take sensible precautions?
Hi thanks,he's at the age that he doesn't say a lot and sits in his bedroom with the door shut and plays on his computer all day as he's a gamer,that's the first time I've been happy that he's that way.So he's quite isolated from us in the home besides when he comes downstairs to cook.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Difficult one.
I am assuming that when the carers come they are wearing surgical grade masks, goggles/face shields, gloves and plastic apron to minimise any transmission that they have picked up, but that your son does not. Does he use a separate ensuite bathroom, or does he use the family one? This is a common source of passing on infection as the virus lives in the gut. If hes got a separate bathroom, only uses that one and you clean it with bleach after hes gone, then this will minimise this source.

OH was shielded, but daughter and her OH came to stay with us for a week. They both work from home, so they self-isolated for a week beforehand, anti-bac'ed everything that they brought in with them, took a shower as soon as they arrived and washed all the clothes they had travelled in. While they were here they didnt meet up with anyone else.

Maybe you consider this OTT, but but it depends how much risk you are willing to take.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Difficult one.
I am assuming that when the carers come they are wearing surgical grade masks, goggles/face shields, gloves and plastic apron to minimise any transmission that they have picked up, but that your son does not. Does he use a separate ensuite bathroom, or does he use the family one? This is a common source of passing on infection as the virus lives in the gut. If hes got a separate bathroom, only uses that one and you clean it with bleach after hes gone, then this will minimise this source.

OH was shielded, but daughter and her OH came to stay with us for a week. They both work from home, so they self-isolated for a week beforehand, anti-bac'ed everything that they brought in with them, took a shower as soon as they arrived and washed all the clothes they had travelled in. While they were here they didnt meet up with anyone else.

Maybe you consider this OTT, but but it depends how much risk you are willing to take.
Hi yes it is a tricky situation,I wouldn't have worried about it if it wasn't for his sister being at school.
Mum has a bed bath downstairs but I use the upstairs bathroom for a bath as does my son,he uses the upstairs toilet and I use the one downstairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23