Visiting Rights

Robin.H

Jun 8, 2022
Hello - First time posting and a long story.
So both my Dad (deceased) and my Step Mum made both myself and my Wife Lasting P.O.A for Health and Finance for them both whilst they were both capable, at the time my Dad had Stage 4 Lung Cancer and my Step Mum had been diagnosed a few years before with Alzheimers so he wanted things in place where we could take care of their needs.
Background is that Step Mum has an abusive Daughter who is also Alcoholic, she assaulted both my Dad and Step Mum which was registered with the local Police.
About 6 years ago now Dad and S.M sold up and moved closer to me to live in Assisted living complex.
S.M's health has deteriorated considerably since they moved up, and when my Dad passed away we moved her into a Care home because we couldn't look after her at home.
In the time they were living up here, her daughter NEVER visited and phoned up maybe twice or three times at a push. When my Dad passed away she openly said she was going to kidnap her Mum and take her back to where she lives. Knowing what Daughter was / is like we said that wasn't going to happen EVER !
I'll make this clear that we have NEVER said she can't visit her Mum either in the Home or somewhere else in our locality providing we supervise the visit due to previous kidnapping threats by her. To this day she has still never made any attempt to arrange a visit. We haven't divulged the home address to her as we still take the kidnap threat seriously as does the care home.
So today, I get a NO CALLER ID phone call from a "Protection Officer" ... saying my Step Sister had been in contact with her regarding getting visitation rights under the Human Rights Act. This protection officer asked for the home address which I refused to divulge as I don't know who I'm talking to for starters. I explained what the crack was to her without revealing too much, said I have no problem with supervised visits providing we arrange them with the home as that is what the home want's us to do, we even have to arrange visits when we visit !
We were told by a Family Court Judge that basically siblings / family have no comeback over a registered LPA.
I wouldn't trust my Step Sis as far as I could throw her knowing what she has done and threatened to do in the past.
So that is the basic way things are.
Questions ....
Can we legally stop her seeing her Mum ? she is claiming it's against her Human Rights ?
Can we legally say when she can and can't visit ?

Robin.H

Jun 8, 2022
I think that as you hold H&W POA, then you can, but I am not certain.
You might be wise to check with the Office of Public Guardians to check what you can do.
Thank you, it's kinda what I already thought. I'll contact them as well.