Visiting Elderly Father in Nursing Home

RRTEO

Aug 20, 2020
Despite the government in Northern Ireland allowing 1 person closest to you to visit a care home the home is not allowing access. I haven't been allowed to see my elderly father since lock down. His mental condition has deteriorated. He has no quality of life. The home gave me a brief slot today half an hour in an outside tent. The carer remained with him all the time which I felt was an invasion of our private time together. I would like to take him out in wheelchair for a walk in local park the home has said no. Surely this is and infringement of his human rights article 8 the right to family life. He might as well be dead as he has absolutely no quality of life.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @RRTEO.

That is tough on both of you and I assume the conditions are because of the massive issue care homes in NI have had with Covid-19 outbreaks.

I'm also in NI and care for my wife. During the main lockdown the Day Centre attended by my wife was closed and opened just 3 weeks ago with a restricted service. Temperature checks and questions about illness and social activity are now the norm before entry is granted(only to the people using the service). Even for a couple of weeks before the full lockdown family members weren't allowed into the Day Centre. The body that manages the Centre have not had a single case of Covid-19 in either their Residential or Day facilities due to their conservative approach.

This is a quote from the BBC's NI page on 20th August

"According to the Department of Health's latest update, there are active Covid-19 outbreaks in eight Northern Ireland care homes.
That is an increase of seven from yesterday
."

Obviously there is a renewed problem in NI as the figures in Care Homes reflect the increase in cases now being seen in the local community but I hope things improve for your Father and yourself as soon as it's safe.

Dealing with dementia in the family is tough enough without this new Covid-19 issue. I wish you strength.

JGDMG

May 5, 2020
That's so tough for you and I'm sorry it's so painful. Pete gives a really good explanation and reasoning why the situation is as it is. Your concern about your fathers quality of life is I'm sure very valid, as for others with dementia who can't have any family life. His care needs must be quite high if he's in a nursing home so this makes things more difficult for you. I feel the same about my mother who is also denied family life (although not in such difficult circumstances as yours). You get to the point, or I do, where I think I don't care if she gets it, at least she will have had time with her loved ones, but of course the issue is that it spreads through homes like wild fire. It seems to me that a walk in the fresh air with you would do him the world of good. They just cannot afford to take the risk. They are probably following guidelines from somewhere else so the decision probably isn't even theirs. This virus has caused so many people so much pain and anguish, and when it's someone elderly and time is limited anyway I think it makes it worse. Probably the best you can do is to keep booking those half hour slots with him, in the outside tent and pretend the carer isn't there. Have a real quality time with him, just being with you will help him and give him something pleasant in his life. The carer will be there because so many people, unwittingly would hug and touch their loved ones. i haven't told you anything you don't know already, but hope it helps to know that others care and sympathise with you.