Visiting dad yesterday. Appearing tired

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I visited dad yesterday after I had been with mum all day.
He had a sit for 3 hours yesterday.
He was tired.He was also tired the day before.
I have noticed a few more changes which have only come on this week.
Whereas before dad would look at his newspaper and just have a browse he is no longer even making any attempt.
He is sleeping more in his chair as he is appearing tired and talking less.
He occasionally used to have cold feet but it is all the time now.As well as cold hands.
Another thing he now wants biscuits with his coffee which he never had before but he is eating less all round. Drinking is ok though.His weight is still up and down without any diuretics.
His output in his bag was 800 mls all night so that has changed.
He is also occasionally getting confused as well as confabulation occurring.
He looks like he has given up to be honest but I have thought that before..

lushr

Sep 25, 2020
i’m sure you know that things change a lot from week to week, but if you talk to him, maybe read him something from the paper, he’ll know you care.. we all have bad weeks i guess.his meds might need adjusting.

i hope he turns around. thinking of you.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
i’m sure you know that things change a lot from week to week, but if you talk to him, maybe read him something from the paper, he’ll know you care.. we all have bad weeks i guess.his meds might need adjusting.

Hi. I do yes. I do a bit of reading to him but he doesn’t like it too much. He much prefers peace.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

@TNJJ thinking of you. You're having it tough with both your parents to take care of. Hope you are getting some time to yourself.
Hi. I have a weeks holiday from Friday from dad. The carers have him full time?

lushr

Sep 25, 2020
i’m sorry @TNJJ youre having a really rough time. do take care of yourself, find a litttle joy in your week, try to refill your cup so to speak.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
i’m sorry @TNJJ youre having a really rough time. do take care of yourself, find a litttle joy in your week, try to refill your cup so to speak.
I have a goal to get through this year with dad. I’m doing no more after Dec 31st. It will be then 6 years..

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does he have sugar in his coffee, are the biscuits sweet?
The sense of taste often degrades with dementia and that of sweetness is the last to go.
Maybe he just wants something sweet.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if this decline has been creeping slowly with your dad @TNJJ. If he can be peaceful both in his sleep and when he wakes, if he can eat what he chooses, as long as his kidneys stay as well as possible, it`s as much as you can ask for.

Take care of yourself. You are under a lot of strain.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Does he have sugar in his coffee, are the biscuits sweet?
The sense of taste often degrades with dementia and that of sweetness is the last to go.
Maybe he just wants something sweet.
Hi. Yes they were. He is type 2 diabetic but I do allow him sweet things sometimes. His blood sugars have been stable for ages which is good. I cook proper meals for him so he gets a balanced diet..

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It sounds as if this decline has been creeping slowly with your dad @TNJJ. If he can be peaceful both in his sleep and when he wakes, if he can eat what he chooses, as long as his kidneys stay as well as possible, it`s as much as you can ask for.

Take care of yourself. You are under a lot of strain.
That’s what I figure. At 87 it is not going to make much difference now. The diuretic didn’t work so not sure if they are going to try a different one..His kidney function is “low but stable” so that is all we can ask for tbh.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Can I pick your brain to answer this question Please?
Can or why would a person in late stages of heart failure not have the swollen legs or stomach that should go with this condition?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Can I pick your brain to answer this question Please?
Can or why would a person in late stages of heart failure not have the swollen legs or stomach that should go with this condition?
Hi. Apparently it depends on which side of the heart has failed. Right side of the heart feeds the lungs which can cause the fluid. The left side does the circulation. So will do the swollen legs etc. Sometimes if a person has both of the heart affected it can be both.
Dad has a swollen stomach which I believe the term is called Acistes( not sure if I have spelt that correctly. He has a mixture of the fluid in the lungs and fluid in the stomach.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi. Apparently it depends on which side of the heart has failed. Right side of the heart feeds the lungs which can cause the fluid. The left side does the circulation. So will do the swollen legs etc. Sometimes if a person has both of the heart affected it can be both.
Dad has a swollen stomach which I believe the term is called Acistes( not sure if I have spelt that correctly. He has a mixture of the fluid in the lungs and fluid in the stomach.
Thank you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
wouldnt his diabetes leave him with cold and feet because of the circulation problems of diabetes as well as the heart. i have reduced sensation in my feet and they are always cold because of the diabetes

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
wouldnt his diabetes leave him with cold and feet because of the circulation problems of diabetes as well as the heart. i have reduced sensation in my feet and they are always cold because of the diabetes
Yes it can but his blood sugars are ok. He no longer takes any medication for it so I’m assuming everything is ok in that department. He had blood taken a few weeks ago for his kidneys and a full blood count nothing back from the doctor @ diabetes. But you are right . It’s just become something new .. Who knows .

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Dad has a swollen stomach which I believe the term is called Acistes( not sure if I have spelt that correctly. He has a mixture of the fluid in the lungs and fluid in the stomac
My husband has heart failure and swelling in the legs is increasing. However he has really bad varicose veins in the right leg and for years that leg would swell and the left one didn't. He has had heart problems for many years and then seven years ago he had a cardiac arrest at home so has been on diuretics for a long time.

Now, as his heart is getting worse, his right leg often looks like a balloon and the left is developing fluid as well. Diuretics don't seem to be working too well but it just gets more complicated as he ages.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My husband has heart failure and swelling in the legs is increasing. However he has really bad varicose veins in the right leg and for years that leg would swell and the left one didn't. He has had heart problems for many years and then seven years ago he had a cardiac arrest at home so has been on diuretics for a long time.

Now, as his heart is getting worse, his right leg often looks like a balloon and the left is developing fluid as well. Diuretics don't seem to be working too well but it just gets more complicated as he ages.
Yes it does. Dad is 87 . It’s definitely getting more complicated..