Visiting carers and hand washing

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi folks,my mum's carers had been applying hand sanitizer in the car before entering the home,but it occured to me today have the care company got enough for the girls to always have it or would they get fed up buying it as they have to supply it to so many girls, also if it did run out ,I would be non the wiser and think they were still using it,they have to take make a journey back to the office every so often and pump some from a big container in to their bottlles
I mentioned it today and one of the girls said since hand washing has been publicised recently she "Now tries to remember to wash her hands after using the toilet"So I said they will have to wash their hands at the sink now
So this leads me to ask have you been finding it easy to find hand wash products and if so could you suggest a place to buy it,I do have handwash at home but I'm going to need a lot more,unfortunately I can't afford to buy bulk paper towels that you would find in hospitals etc but will just have to provide a clean fabric hand towel each day that they will all have to use after they have washed their hands

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi folks,my mum's carers had been applying hand sanitizer in the car before entering the home,but it occured to me today have the care company got enough for the girls to always have it or would they get fed up buying it as they have to supply it to so many girls, also if it did run out ,I would be non the wiser and think they were still using it,they have to take make a journey back to the office every so often and pump some from a big container in to their bottlles
I mentioned it today and one of the girls said since hand washing has been publicised recently she "Now tries to remember to wash her hands after using the toilet"So I said they will have to wash their hands at the sink now
So this leads me to ask have you been finding it easy to find hand wash products and if so could you suggest a place to buy it,I do have handwash at home but I'm going to need a lot more,unfortunately I can't afford to buy bulk paper towels that you would find in hospitals etc but will just have to provide a clean fabric hand towel each day that they will all have to use after they have washed their hands
I buy a lot of my things on eBay. I bought a box of sanitizer for about 3.00 a year ago. I haven’t checked it recently.
My dads carers do the same @sanitizer in the car. I used to be a carer and always had mine in my pocket. You can clips that attach to them so they don’t lose them.
But it came to my mind then as it does now ,they should be applying sanitizer as soon as they enter your house not in the car. Look at all they touch before they come in.Keys,doors etc..I can’t understand the logic.Maybe it’s me.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I buy a lot of my things on eBay. I bought a box of sanitizer for about 3.00 a year ago. I haven’t checked it recently.
My dads carers do the same @sanitizer in the car. I used to be a carer and always had mine in my pocket. You can clips that attach to them so they don’t lose them.
But it came to my mind then as it does now ,they should be applying sanitizer as soon as they enter your house not in the car. Look at all they touch before they come in.Keys,doors etc..I can’t understand the logic.Maybe it’s me.
Yes that's what I was thinking and at least I could see it being used then,I think it could be a struggle to find handwash I haven't looked for a couple of weeks as I haven't been out but I strugged to any find any previously,I have got quite a lot of tubes of shower gel and fairly liquid which will have to suffice until I get some.The prices on Ebay have gone mad for handwash unfortunately,we all wished that we had a crystal ball as I would have had a huge stockpile of everything.
Thanks for getting back to me,I would have had my son from Thursday but I cant see him now,and I feel terrible about it,he doesn't say much when he's here as he has his headphones on upstairs playing his pc and I get the odd grunt,but I miss him,he's 17 and I suppose his computer obsession at the moment may be a blessing to distract him

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
One of the ladies that has just called has given a roll of blue paper from her car for hand drying,she's a lovely lady

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
M
Yes that's what I was thinking and at least I could see it being used then,I think it could be a struggle to find handwash I haven't looked for a couple of weeks as I haven't been out but I strugged to any find any previously,I have got quite a lot of tubes of shower gel and fairly liquid which will have to suffice until I get some.The prices on Ebay have gone mad for handwash unfortunately,we all wished that we had a crystal ball as I would have had a huge stockpile of everything.
Thanks for getting back to me,I would have had my son from Thursday but I cant see him now,and I feel terrible about it,he doesn't say much when he's here as he has his headphones on upstairs playing his pc and I get the odd grunt,but I miss him,he's 17 and I suppose his computer obsession at the moment may be a blessing to distract him
My daughter lives with me (she’s 25) .Its a bit of company. The boys live in Weston and Bristol and are older. But we have been in contact via WhatsApp. I don’t live with dad but it is hard keeping on top of everything with the carers . I like the bit about your carer is going to try and wash her hands after using the toilet..You think that would be the natural thing to do wouldn’t you?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was watching a programme on channel 4 last night where they tested - by pressing hands on a Petri dish - which was best between hand sanitizer and soap and water. Soap and water won . But obviously neither work well if you don’t use them properly.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Mums carers come in and go to wash their hands, she has soap in bathroom and hand wash in kitchen and they've used both. I've noticed they don't tend to use the towel, so I told them there is kitchen roll by kitchen sink and I've made sure there is always plenty on roll when they are due. I can see why they don't use towel as they don't know if anyone who has used towel has any germs from virus or anything else or how clean the towel is.
I am always surprised how many people I have seen over the years go to loo and not wash their hands. Even if they use hand sanitizer afterwards it makes me worry about touching the door handles in case they've not used it yet or not at all.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
M

My daughter lives with me (she’s 25) .Its a bit of company. The boys live in Weston and Bristol and are older. But we have been in contact via WhatsApp. I don’t live with dad but it is hard keeping on top of everything with the carers . I like the bit about your carer is going to try and wash her hands after using the toilet..You think that would be the natural thing to do wouldn’t you?
Yes that's what I thought about that comment,I told the team that came tonight and their jaws dropped,although that particular carer has been told before that she had to wash her hair ,as it was so lank and greasy it looked like she had been swimming it was always like that as it had never seen shampoo,sometimes she can't be bothered to do that so ties it up instead of washing it.
I'm sorry if that sounds awful making comments like that but everyone else is aware of it.
I'm glad you have your daughter with you that's nice,my future plan is for my son to move to mine full time one day

Last edited:

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Mums carers come in and go to wash their hands, she has soap in bathroom and hand wash in kitchen and they've used both. I've noticed they don't tend to use the towel, so I told them there is kitchen roll by kitchen sink and I've made sure there is always plenty on roll when they are due. I can see why they don't use towel as they don't know if anyone who has used towel has any germs from virus or anything else or how clean the towel is.
I am always surprised how many people I have seen over the years go to loo and not wash their hands. Even if they use hand sanitizer afterwards it makes me worry about touching the door handles in case they've not used it yet or not at all.
Hi do you have any tips to finding kitchen roll at a reasonable price,I'm going to get some.When I mentioned it tonight I said to the girls that I will have to tape closed the downstairs toilet as I know the carer that I was referring to above will flush it down the toilet and I would end up with a huge bill

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi do you have any tips to finding kitchen roll at a reasonable price,I'm going to get some.When I mentioned it tonight I said to the girls that I will have to tape closed the downstairs toilet as I know the carer that I was referring to above will flush it down the toilet and I would end up with a huge bill
We usually just get the two packs of tesco own brand but they also have a Springforce jumbo roll for 91p. Might be harder to get at the moment as most paper products are being stock piled. They also have basic paper napkins 100 for 50p at tesco. One place near us that seems to be doing ok on paper products front is farm foods, we got our toilet roll there last week when we couldn't get them elsewhere.
Mums kitchen roll is near the kitchen sink and the bin is not far off so works well. Both mums carers are very switched on so they'd know not to put it down loo if in bathroom, but it sounds like you'll have to be very direct with instructions for that particular carer unfortunately.
Good luck with tracking some down x

sadWife11*

Mar 27, 2020
What horrifies me is that anyone “has to remember to wash her hands after using the toilet”I thought that for most people it was a reflex action.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
What horrifies me is that anyone “has to remember to wash her hands after using the toilet”I thought that for most people it was a reflex action.
You would think so. But even with dad’s carers they are not so “hot”.When I was a carer I was always “pro active “about hygiene..But these days I have noticed with a lot of young carers it never occurs to them. I have left a pair of slippers at dad’s front door so they can change into whilst there..But very rarely do they.(they have socks)so wouldn’t transmit germs..

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
We usually just get the two packs of tesco own brand but they also have a Springforce jumbo roll for 91p. Might be harder to get at the moment as most paper products are being stock piled. They also have basic paper napkins 100 for 50p at tesco. One place near us that seems to be doing ok on paper products front is farm foods, we got our toilet roll there last week when we couldn't get them elsewhere.
Mums kitchen roll is near the kitchen sink and the bin is not far off so works well. Both mums carers are very switched on so they'd know not to put it down loo if in bathroom, but it sounds like you'll have to be very direct with instructions for that particular carer unfortunately.
Good luck with tracking some down x
Hi thanks I had a look in Tescos tonight but it had been cleared,but will keep a look out though and thanks for giving me details of the names so I will know which ones to look for,it's a shame we lost our Farmfoods ans it was replaced by M&S simply food and with the state of my budget I would have preferred Farm foods.

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I appreciate that its different, and perhaps wouldnt work with carers but....finding paper towels make my hands sore, I am using flannels as hand towels in the kitchen and changing them as often as required.

They are cheap to buy, easy to wash & dry

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I appreciate that its different, and perhaps wouldnt work with carers but....finding paper towels make my hands sore, I am using flannels as hand towels in the kitchen and changing them as often as required.

I used to use flannels @occupied99 - a different colour for each child - when I was childminding. One per child per day. This was considered to be good hygiene by the Ofsted inspector so hopefully it would be acceptable to visiting carers too. I’d wash them on 60 degrees. I had a lot of flannels...

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I used to use flannels @occupied99 - a different colour for each child - when I was childminding. One per child per day. This was considered to be good hygiene by the Ofsted inspector so hopefully it would be acceptable to visiting carers too. I’d wash them on 60 degrees. I had a lot of flannels...
Hi I have an order of 20 micro fibre cloths that I have ordered from Ebay,I was going to use them foor cleaning door handles,but after thinking about this hand washing situation,I may put them in a basket in the wc and they could be used for drying hands by each person and as you say washed at 60 degrees,microfibre cloths seem to stay soft as well so they should do the job,they are 30cm x 30 cm.They are supposed to be decent enough quality.they were marketed as car detailing cloths and are blue,I think I paid about £6.99 inc delivery that will save a fortune on towels if they seem ok.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020

Hi thanks that's what I'm going to try,the girls have sore hands from bacterial gel that they have been given.I said it would be because it contains alcohol which dries the hands,I must admit I have had to use cream on my hands as mine are dry too

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I wasn't able to get any liquid soap marketed as handsoap but bought a few bottles of baby wash in bottles of a nice size that were a £1 each for 500ml so a good price and that should be kind on their hands.,it lathers nicely so will do the job fine.
Thanks to you all for your help,it's a horrible time at the moment but it's not all bad,I seem to have mostly good days but then the mind drifts to a bad place.I think I'm pretty much as prepared as I can be now.
If anyone is struggling to get paracetamol always check the bottom shelf as I found big packets of soluble,that was in Tesco right at the back at the bottom so people couldn't see them,and the soluble is a lot more expensive at £3.50 a box so maybe less people were interested in buying that,that's going in my emergency basket with 12 500ml bottles of water so they are near to hand