Visiting care and hygiene precautions

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Has everyone that has visiting carers,have they started to wear aprons and washing hands when entering your home yet?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Has everyone that has visiting carers,have they started to wear aprons and washing hands when entering your home yet?
I don’t live with dad but they are using aprons (more so when doing personal care)I have reminded them to wash their hands and use sanitizer.(A lot of them leave it in their car!!!) I have provided it.. (I have told them to leave it in their pockets rather than their car..We shall see.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I don’t live with dad but they are using aprons (more so when doing personal care)I have reminded them to wash their hands and use sanitizer.(A lot of them leave it in their car!!!) I have provided it.. (I have told them to leave it in their pockets rather than their car..We shall see.
That's good

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
It seems to vary a bit here, some wear aprons and others only gloves. How are they with you @occupied99 ?
Hi I'm going to have to speak to somebody tonight as they haven't worn an apron for a couple of nights,I was stupid not saying anything,she's a lovely lady that even reads a story to my mum now and again going over her own time I just assume she thinks it's stupid it might even be because she's very big they perhaps might not even fit her and possibly hasn't got the dexterity to fasten it behind her back as she's so wide,I'm going to have to mention it tonight,they always wear gloves.
The aprons got dropped off a couple of days ago and care companies have been told by the government/public health that carers have to wear them,ring them today and ask where they are

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
With OHs care company it's mandatory they wear aprons and gloves at all times, have to be bare below the elbows and wear shoe covers, to help reduce cross contamination. Always been that way. I have enforced washing hands as soon as they enter the property with paper towels for drying, but to be fair the care company has told them they need to do that too.
I agree if you are unhappy they aren't wearing PPE, and who can blame you, speak to the office. TBH I'm shocked they don't.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I found this
If neither the individual nor the care worker have symptoms of COVID-19

If neither the care worker nor the individual receiving care and support is symptomatic, then no personal protective equipment is required above and beyond normal good hygiene practices.

General interventions may include increased cleaning activity and keeping property properly ventilated by opening windows whenever safe and appropriate.

Care workers should follow advice on hand hygiene.

on https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-care-providers-to-maintain-delivery-of-care and hope it helps. But, obviously if you are worried then speak to the care manager.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I'm going to remove the 2 waste bins from the lounge as aprons and gloves are often thrown in them,instead of being thrown in the outside bin,I'm not sure why they do that,they are lovely girls though,one of them has just lost her other main job in an office,so I'm sure she will be working lots of ours at the care company now instead and she's a very good carer so we will be pleased to see her more often

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I'm going to remove the 2 waste bins from the lounge as aprons and gloves are often thrown in them,instead of being thrown in the outside bin,I'm not sure why they do that,they are lovely girls though,one of them has just lost her other main job in an office,so I'm sure she will be working lots of ours at the care company now instead and she's a very good carer so we will be pleased to see her more often
We have yellow bags down here for gloves,aprons and pads. Goes to the incinerator to be burnt as classed as “contaminated “. Yellow bags are supplied by the council who come one day a week to collect it and leave another bag. It is a free service. You just need to contact the “clinical waste” department at the council.