Visit to the memory clinic

steviel

Sep 17, 2007
Hi All
It has been a while since I have been on the site, which is a good thing as my father has been ok! well as much as you can be with early alzheimers!!
However a trip to the memory clinic who have not seen my father for 18 months and of course he scored lower than he did last time we went. But really to me he seems no different at all but is that because I see him everyday to give him his tablets?? I asked the Psychiatrist does he seem very different to you? has he lost weight? He said no but can he really remember 18 months ago??
He has obviously changed or his score would not have been lower. I dont know. He suggested that I contact social services in the New year to see if they can means access him to see if he is entitiled to anything else, I am not sure what this means, can anyone elaborate?
Christmas makes him a little hyper with the present buying!
But perhapes it does to all of us!!!!
I sound like scrooge!!

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Hello steviel
Difficult to know what the significance of the lower score is. If it's only slightly lower it could just be that your dad wasn't on such good form that particular day. If you've noticed no great changes yourself, that's a good sign. Yo would certainly be aware of serious changes as they affect the way your dad would cope with specific situations ( e.g if he were not to recognize the difference between night and day). The suggestion to have a review with social services could be in your dad's interest, however e.g it might be possible to apply for attendance allowance for him (or does he already get the full amount?) or to access some help for him in the house etc.
Blue sea

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I would say there are two possibilities.

First, the decline has been so slight and gradual that you haven't noticed it. This is common; a visitor may notice a difference, whereas we don't.

Second, the memory clinic is using the MMSE score to measure changes. It's quite possible that the decline is in an area that you wouldn't notice in everyday life - for example, a loss of mathematical ability.

I'm not quite sure what the psychiatrist means re: social services but it's good that he/she is involved in that side of things! There are a variety of things that may or may not be available, these range from services like day centres, respite care, visting carers all the way through to benefits such as Attendance Allowance, Pension Credit, Council Tax Benefit and so on.

steviel

Sep 17, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I am not sure what attendance allowance is? I will find out.
Thanks
Steviel

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Steviel,
I don't know if you already do it but I always kept a diary and wrote down everything each day that Peter did or did not do. It was very helpful for the Consultant and Doctors.
Good Luck.
Christine

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Steviel

Attendance Allowance is not Means Tested so anyone needing help can get it.

You can get your dad a claim form for Attendance Allowance by ringing 0800 88 22 00

It is often helpful to get someone to help with the wording you write on the form. I got the District Nurse to offer advice. Along with other reasons she put that mum was at risk during the day because she wandered through the park after collecting her pension and had no sense of danger.

Also you have to be aware that whilst Attendance Allowance can be paid from the day you apply for the form (if your dad qualifies), it is only paid after he has “needed help for six months”. So, if it is truthful, you have to put down on the form that your dad started needing help more than six months ago.

Regards

Clive

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Hi Stievel
If you look on the Help the Aged website, first column - click on 'Help claiming benefits' - this will take you to a section on Attendance Allowance. it is well worth claiming and, as Clive said, can be paid from when you first phone requesting a form, if the help has been needed for 6 months. I would also recommend getting help filling in the form from someone used to dealing with this. Social services will also chack whether your father is entitled to any other benefits such as pension credit.
Blue sea

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher