Virus test

Paul mc

Jul 30, 2020
It’s recently occurred to me just as I’m about to consider reintroducing our private carer after nearly 5 months without her help, that if either my wife, who I care for, or I develop a mild or otherwise symptom of a chest infection , the proper thing to do to protect the carer would be to stop her visiting the house for 14 days in case we’ve got coronavirus and not just a cold or flu.
So far as I can see there isn’t a way we can be tested for Covid ( you have to have one of the three main symptoms) . But of course one can still have Covid and only have mild symptoms
Consequently we could be on and off with our carer all through the autumn and winter months each time we get a sniffle..
Any thoughts anyone ?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Paul mc My own thoughts would be that you should follow the government guidelines, so self-isolate if you have any of the 3 symptoms listed, at which point you can advise the carer that you have symptoms and also request a test. Stopping the carer every time you have a sniffle is not going to be good for you, your wife or the carer. Your carer should by now be aware of the correct infection control procedures and be wearing the appropriate PPE when caring for your wife so that will minimise the risk, as will maintaining social distancing where possible and frequent hand washing. Maybe it would be helpful for you to talk through your concerns with the carer?

microman

Jul 30, 2020
I have been told that if you ring 119 you can order a covid test as my wife is going into a home for me to have 2 weeks respite.
Is this corredt?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @microman Most care homes are now requesting that new residents are tested prior to admission. In a recent thread here one forum member in Scotland had some initial difficulties getting a test but another in England rang, filled in the form and got a test sent to their home. There may be some regional variations in the process but you should be able to get a test - have you tried ringing and requesting a test?