Virtual visits: how Finland is coping with an ageing population

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by nitram, Jun 27, 2019.

1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  2. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    I'm sure things like this will work much better in the future when the technology improves and also for the next generation who are more used to tech.

Of course as you say it won't work for dementia (maybe in the early stages) but could probably still be of use to visiting carers to consult GPs, social workers, etc, should they need to.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    On a more general level about technology involvement.

I go for an annual blood test and BP measurement.

I then have to arrange a telephone consultation (means wait in all day) or book an appt (haven't got any for x days).

An email stating 'everything OK, please confirm no problems and we will issue an electronic repeat dispensing X13 (= one year) so that you can pick up your medication from xxxx - my chosen pharmacy - at will.

Nearly there, got it to the phone consultation stage.

4. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    I do feel tech systems are only as good as the people entering the data though!

My GP now does phone consults apparently, (probably because you can't get an appointment for weeks :mad:) sends texts about appointments and for test results. I recently got sent someone else's test results instead of my own which was somewhat alarming. When I went to the surgery to explain they were completely unconcerned. :eek:

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    It's not just 'tech systems' it's admin as well.

I recently had major surgery and got a copy of a summary as sent to my GP, somebody had used the wrong proforma, I had to explain to the locum at my GPs that they don't have to regularly check my electrolytes as I have a colostomy not an ileostomy.

My next door neighbour got a letter informing her of an appointment the day before which had actually been cancelled because of another cοck up.

6. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User